New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Immersion Chiller Leaked Into My Wort

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
jbambuti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Immersion Chiller Leaked Into My Wort

I just finished brewing up a Double IPA. The process went off without a hitch until I hooked up my immersion chiller. I always wrap some paper towels around the fittings to catch any stray drops of tap water. It started off fine and I went upstairs for 5 minutes or so to start cleaning up.

When I came back down to the basement, I noticed that the chiller had been leaking into my wort from one of the fittings. I quickly shut off the water and tightened the fittings, which stopped the problem. However, some tap water got into the wort and I'm not sure how much. The towels soaked up a fair amount and it wasn't pouring out, but I live in Chicago and the tap water has some chlorine in it. I use bottled water for my brews, but I'm wondering if the pint or so (?) of tap water will affect the taste of my brew, or if any chlorine in the water will affect the yeast.

Not much to do about it, but I'm wondering if others have had this problem and how your beer turned out.

Primary 2: Apfelwein

Primary 3: Air

Bottled: Hammered Squirrel Nut Brown Ale (btl. 5/9/10), Jamil's Evil Twin (btl. 3/29/10), Crazy Ivan RIS (btl. 2/14/10), English Pale Ale (btl. 12/29/09), Apfelwein

Up Next:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I pint in 5 gallons probably won't affect much. I wouldn't be worried about it.

I've used some questionable chlorinated water in plenty of brews, and as long as it's hopped to hell or kinda dark, it works fine. with lighter colored low abv brews, it's been horrible, but that was using all water. one pint shouldn't do anything.

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-pa-de-dc-winter-brew-day-195534/

Old 11-30-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
Q2XL
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have had that happen a few times. I was worried when I first started brewing, but I have never had ANY problems with a small amount of water getting in the wort.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:52 AM   #4
GregT
Recipes 

When that happened to me, I got a spoiled batch of beer. However, my case was different, as I was pumping water from a bucket of ice water that wasn't too clean. The pressure popped the hose off and it pumped a bit into the wort when it was closed to fully cooled. Anyway, I learned to make sure to fasten everything down well. My guess is that you are fine if it was just tap water. Many who do partial boils are dumping tap water into the wort without problems.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Happens quite often with my commercial chiller, even after tightening the clamps. Haven't had any off-flavors/infections pop up as a result.

Primary: Zilch
Secondary: Nada
Bottled/Fridge: Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone Sucaba Barleywine
Kegerator: Just kicked (dammit all!)
Coming Up: Revision of my Belgian Strong

Old 11-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
wrestler63
Recipes 

Mt first immersion chiller was one of those cheap ones with plastic hose clamped to the copper. Needless to say on about my 6th batch or so the plastic hose came off and when I came to cheak on things, my kettle was full of very clear clean water !!!!!!!!!!!! Lesson learned, You get what you pay for.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with the sentiment here. Your beer will be fine. If you can drink your tap water then it won't hurt your beer.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Urban
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This happens to me almost everyother brew, i jsut need to remember to tighten the clamps on my immersion chiller before i turn it on and im fine. I have never had an infection. I use all treated city water (except for my current batch in primary where i got the water from a local artesian well) so i cannot comment on any flavors due to chlorine, flouride, or other things added to municipal water supplies.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I used to use Chicago municipal water for my entire brew, both extract and AG. You'll be fine. I NOW use bottled water for my brews, because I don't like the taste of Chicago water in my beer, but I made many, very drinkable, good 5 gallons batches using only Chicago water. If only a pint or so got in, you won't notice a thing.

All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment

Old 11-30-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
jbambuti
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoyLenz View Post
I used to use Chicago municipal water for my entire brew, both extract and AG. You'll be fine. I NOW use bottled water for my brews, because I don't like the taste of Chicago water in my beer, but I made many, very drinkable, good 5 gallons batches using only Chicago water. If only a pint or so got in, you won't notice a thing.
Thanks. It's chugging away right now quite happily. I don't really know the water profile in Chicago, but I can taste the chlorine/chloramines very slightly in a glass of tap water. I've only brewed with bottled water, so I was just wondering.

Primary 2: Apfelwein

Primary 3: Air

Bottled: Hammered Squirrel Nut Brown Ale (btl. 5/9/10), Jamil's Evil Twin (btl. 3/29/10), Crazy Ivan RIS (btl. 2/14/10), English Pale Ale (btl. 12/29/09), Apfelwein

Up Next:

Quick Reply