The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I'm very excited!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
dontman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default I'm very excited!

I just learned of the results for my first contest entry in about 15 years amd my entry won the top spot for the English Pale Ale category at the War of the Worts in Eastern PA.

I was worried that they might judge it to be in the wrong category because I did use some Cascades in the aroma addition of hops.

In fact, when I posted the recipe in the HBT recipe section I put in the APA category. I think I'll ask one of the mods to change it the English Pale Ale section.

Edit: The switch has been made. Red Dog ESB is now the English Pale Ale section.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Last edited by dontman; 02-26-2009 at 01:44 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
spitfire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Congrats! That's awesome

Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well done, Don!

Old 02-26-2009, 01:43 AM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
...I think I'll ask one of the mods to change it the English bitters section.
Looks like it was already done.

Now get over there and post your accolades. We'll need to compare notes on your version and my Captain Hooked on Bitters that just qualified for Nationals.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:52 AM   #5
dontman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Looks like it was already done.

Now get over there and post your accolades. We'll need to compare notes on your version and my Captain Hooked on Bitters that just qualified for Nationals.
I have not received the feedback sheet. I just realized that the results were posted online and saw my name at the top of EPA table. I am now even more eager to see the feedback sheet.

I will be entering a Belgian Triple and a Northern English Brown into the NHC.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Congrats my friend....You deserve it!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #7
bluehouse
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Congrats!
What made you decide to enter a contest after so many years?

Old 02-26-2009, 02:41 AM   #8
dontman
Recipes 

Thanks Revvy.

Janet,

I took a long break from brewing due to some health issues.

In fact, my last entry into a Home Brew competition was in 1994 and I took second place overall (out of 70+ entries) in that show with a Crystal Honey Ale .

Now I've got the bug again.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
dontman
Recipes 

I picked up my Blue Ribbon today. Pretty!

I also picked up my comment sheets. Not as pretty. Though they were exactly in line with what I determined for the beer. Surprisingly so. But the judges dinged me harder than I dinged myself . The other common comment from the two was excellent flavor but could use a bit more oomph. I took this to mean in the malt department.

The primary issue was that the beer was a touch dry to style. I agreed and actually had planned on going 4 pts higher in FG than I finished (I wanted 1.012 but got 1.008) I think my thermometer was a degree or two off. Aside from that it got very high marks for hops bitterness and aroma and brilliant clarity which was pleasing because the only finings I used was seaweed and time.

I plan on making this with all Maris Otter as the base and mashing at 155 with everything else being the same next time. But first I'm making me some "Cream of Three Crops" with wheat subbed in for rice.

Quick Reply