The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #51
blacklab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
This is the point where several confused people should exclaim... Aha!
Aha!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #52
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith
I think I'm leaning toward the Blonde Doppelbock, but I'd do the Barleywine just as well. It will be more of a change from the 8/8/8 recipe and we could really do up the 10/10/10 with the BW. I'm going to play Switzerland on this one and let you guys hash it out.

Nice pigtails Heidi...

Old 04-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #53
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAC
I am in, but have a concern that if we go with the equation of 9 we will be making a BW on the small end of the spectrum. I suppose we could go for a 1.099 OG with 99 IBUs, but maybe this is the 10/10/10 style, which we can always make way ahead of time.

The 9/9/9 may be better lived out as a different style. I still like the blond dopplebock myself. But will brew with the crowd and help with the recipe. Water into Barleywine is a nice starting place but I have some suggested changes if the forum is interested.
Hey EAC, I am wondering what your opinion is on changing up the hop schedule from that 'other' Barleywine recipe to Centennial and Cascade?

I have never made a BW before and you seem to have some experience.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #54
EAC
It takes one to know one

Recipes 

The big Cs make great ABW hops. That American hop flavor goes really well with the higher gravity and the rich malty tones. I do think they can accent the sweetness of the beer and so that should be considered in the recipe, like dropping the mash temp and the fermentation temp, not going over board on the crystal malt, things like that. I would love to use a bunch of Centennials and Cascades in a big ABW, if they can be had at a reasonable cost.

Living in Limbo

Old 04-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #55
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAC
I am in, but have a concern that if we go with the equation of 9 we will be making a BW on the small end of the spectrum. I suppose we could go for a 1.099 OG with 99 IBUs, but maybe this is the 10/10/10 style, which we can always make way ahead of time.

The 9/9/9 may be better lived out as a different style. I still like the blond dopplebock myself. But will brew with the crowd and help with the recipe. Water into Barleywine is a nice starting place but I have some suggested changes if the forum is interested.
I was thinking 1.109 with a 99 IBU.

I started with Barleywine because of it's relative straight forward recipe.
An ale recipe will include more people who don't have lagering capacity.
And of course....9-9-9 Barleywine had a nice ring to it...

Old 04-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #56
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I think making it a lager excludes a bunch of people. Just my .012001 Kronor.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #57
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

A few thoughts:

• Seems there are around 15 (ish) who are already verbally "in" for a 9-9-9 Barleywine, just in the first 48 hours.
  • Seems there are also small handful who already have a BW on deck and this would work into their schedule.
  • Sounds like a fair number of those who are in would perhaps fall out if we turned this into a lager.
  • The one year thing from grain to glass, seems to be kind of accepted/recommended for a barley wine....I'm not sure if the same is true (cuz I don't know) about a dopplebock.
  • Seems people have some druthers on their own recipe which would be great, but maybe we offer up a default recipe for those first time BW brewers (like yours truly).
(Pastor...would you be willing to take on the task of coming up with a recipe...be it the "W to B" or another version you prefer?

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 04-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #58
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I'll brew whatever the group/Good Pastor decided on (I'll probably end up doing a couple of beers, I'm really liking the idea of the smoked barleywine do I'll do that for giggles myself).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #59
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

The only thing I dont like is the stupid long ass wait for the beer to mature. I wish I had a 5 gallon oak barrel to age it in!

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 04-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #60
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

y'all are right, a lager would exclude a lot of people, (realisticaly probably me as well, but I probably still would have tried ) My oppinion on the barleywine to wait till a future year went along with EAC's sugestion that the OG, while still high, could be done bigger.

I like Biermunchers idea of shooting for a 1.109 gravity, but is it acceptable for that purist numbers brew? Regardless of what we pick, I think an official recipie for 9-9-9 should be tossed out there.

Other sugestions for 9-9-9 brews in other threads include a tripel (3 x 3 = 9, plus there is a recipie out there by beersmith if I remember right) a miebock or oktoberfest (I know back to lagers) and the orriginal dopplebock thread (back to that old thing as well )

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Quick Reply