Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #41
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter
Time to put that smoker to unintended uses!

I like the idea of a hoppy smoked BW with a hefty amount of rye. Not to style, and properly American.
Oh, that's a fully intended use, and she knows it! I might actually pick it up tonight (I'd love to smoke something nice this weekend, the weather's been SO goregous). I then need to get my hands on some good smoking woods, stuff other than hickory and mesquite.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #42
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

quick Q:

I knew about the 7-7-7IPA and have done the 8-8-8RIS, but didn't know there was a 6-6-6brew. does someone have a link for that, a search pulled up some "make fun of 666" type threads and Dudes brewday. I didnt know if a recipie was burried in there somewhere.....

perhaps a thread with all the official "number brews" (locked to keep it from getting cluttered up, or only so mods can add the new recipies to it as they come up) would be in one place for easy reference.

just an idea...

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 04-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #43
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not even sure I like Barley Wine, but after reading Brew Pastors recipe I'm intrigued. I think I will brew a Pacific style pale ale this weekend so I have a nice big yeast cake to put Brew Pastor's recipe on and play in the swap this time if you guys don't mind.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #44
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Shout "American Homebrewers Association?"

I say stick with the dopplebock and save the barleywine for that big date up ahead. Yopper sent me a bottle of Capital Brewing's Blonde DB and it got my designing mind churning.

But you all decide, what will it be this year my friends? I think we can do better then Water into Barleywine if we go the ABW route.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #45
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Count me in for a BW, whenever it's done. Maybe it will light a fire under my a$$ to get the keggle done.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #46
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
I say stick with the dopplebock and save the barleywine for that big date up ahead. Yopper sent me a bottle of Capital Brewing's Blonde DB and it got my designing mind churning.

But you all decide, what will it be this year my friends? I think we can do better then Water into Barleywine if we go the ABW route.
I think Brewpastor is right, an ABW would be an excellent style for 12/12/12 to finish out the series. So what to do for the next 3 years?

If the pastor is already working on a Dopplebock for 9/9/09 then I think that is a good way to go. I won't be joining in that swap as I stated above but the beer sounds good.

Craig

Old 04-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #47
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

My vote is for the following:

9/9/09 - Dopplebock
10/10/10 - Strong Scotch Ale
11/11/11 - Barleywine
12/12/12 - Belgian Trippel

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #48
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Whichever way, doesn't matter to me. I'm thinking about doing a smoked barleywine regardless (got a cake of US-05, now that I think about it....)

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #49
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Whichever way, doesn't matter to me. I'm thinking about doing a smoked barleywine regardless (got a cake of US-05, now that I think about it....)

Well fine bird, you do what you want and not brew with the group......

No, I was just throwing out my $0.02 worth. I personaly think if we do a barleywine, might as well do it BIG ie. the '11 or even '12 brew. If we want to go ahead and come up with a recipie for tat and brew it 2-3 years in advance and let it age, I would be up for that fo' sho'.

As mentioned in the other 9-9-9 thread, it might be easier to do a tripel for '12 so we can use the extra sugars to help get up to the 1.120 gravity.

I threw in the Strong scotch ale because, well it sounded good, and sticking it in as the '10 brew with an OG of 1.100 just sounded like the right thing to do. If someone has a better idea for that, please share.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #50
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I think I'm leaning toward the Blonde Doppelbock, but I'd do the Barleywine just as well. It will be more of a change from the 8/8/8 recipe and we could really do up the 10/10/10 with the BW. I'm going to play Switzerland on this one and let you guys hash it out.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Quick Reply