The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I'm over carboys...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
BrewAlchemy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default I'm over carboys...

After brewing for over 4 years I am just sick of carboys, they are frigging heavy, pain in the ass to clean and am always nervous about breaking. Would i sound crazy to go back to buckets for fermentation? I mean they seem just way easier, other then possibly scratching them and harboring bacteria in the scratches what are really the set backs to a bucket? I dont know why I stopped using buckets in the first place. Do carboys just seem cooler? Anyway, what I am asking is am I crazy for going back to fermenting in buckets?

I also just moved to Denver and now have to build a fermentation chamber for my carboys and what a pain in the but to have to lift them up and over into a keezer. I am thinking i should just buy a 7cu.ft chest freezer and 2 ale pales and be on my way with this already and cut out the annoyances.

Comments?

When describing a decent beer I like to say "Happy, but not quite hilarious."

dstamper441 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

No, you're not crazy. Glass carboys can be a real PITA. I still use them cuz I like to see what's going on, and I like the ease of keeping glass clean. I have a "Brew-Hauler" for each of my 6.5 gal carboys and that makes it a lot easier and safer to move them around. I also try not to move the carboys more than 5-6 feet, from the table I rack from, to the swamp cooler and back.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
csamuel
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I am with you there for sure. I have several buckets and several carboys. I have found that I will always use the buckets first if they are available and last resort to a carboy.
Second I normally use better bottles for secondary as they are lighter/easier to clean after secondary than primary for sure.
Eventually I am sure I will get tired of moving everything into my fermentation keezer but been thinking of rigging up some sort of swinging pulley system in the garage to move everything around.

Primary: Bourbon Barrel Old Ale
Secondary: Dry Irish Stout
On Deck: ???

Old 06-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I felt the same way years ago, so I switched to fementing in SS Pots. I got the Cheap-o ones from Austin Homebrew.

Kegged:DIPA,Pumpkin Stout,,Munich Helles, Chinook/Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo IPA

Bottled: Blackberry Mead
Primary #1:Mosaic IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck:APA,RIS,AB Clone

Old 06-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 171

I just use 6 gallon better bottles for primary fermentation and 5 gallon for secondary (when I do a secondary). Much easier to handle than glass and you can still see what's going on.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Francis Albert Sinatra

Old 06-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
BrewAlchemy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
No, you're not crazy. Glass carboys can be a real PITA. I still use them cuz I like to see what's going on, and I like the ease of keeping glass clean. I have a "Brew-Hauler" for each of my 6.5 gal carboys and that makes it a lot easier and safer to move them around. I also try not to move the carboys more than 5-6 feet, from the table I rack from, to the swamp cooler and back.
Yeah, thats nice not to have to move your beer around much. Unfortunately I have to lug my crap from one floor to another do to living in a apartment building. See I find carboys difficult to clean, I usually fill them to the brim with water then throw in some oxi-clean and then use my carboy brush after its been soaking for a while and it works really well, but dont you think opening a lid and cleaning a bucket is even easier? Basically what I am looking for a a reason why NOT to use a bucket other then it being plastic and harboring bacteria in scratches?

When describing a decent beer I like to say "Happy, but not quite hilarious."

Old 06-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
Double-R
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

'I love glass carboys,it make me "concentrate completely on the task at hand",

Old 06-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
nattron
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Same here. I am all plastic after a glass break. I figure I can buy 4 buckets for the price of a carboy so I am not worried about scratches or bugs. I have a refrigerator that I use as a fermentation chamber in the outside shed so it is not like I see what is going on.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I've been feeling the same way lately. I have two glass carboys and one bucket. I use them all, but I prefer the bucket. Everything about it is easier. Easier to fill, easier to clean, easier to take gravity samples, no worries about an ER visit. And I honestly can't detect a difference in the taste of my beer. I've considered trying Better Bottles, but aside from the freedom from worry over breakage, all the remaining drawbacks that apply to glass apply to them as well. I'm at the point where I need to add another FV or two, and I'm probably going to go with buckets.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
nattron
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLBeanJ
I've been feeling the same way lately. I have two glass carboys and one bucket. I use them all, but I prefer the bucket. Everything about it is easier. Easier to fill, easier to clean, easier to take gravity samples, no worries about an ER visit. And I honestly can't detect a difference in the taste of my beer. I've considered trying Better Bottles, but aside from the freedom from worry over breakage, all the remaining drawbacks that apply to glass apply to them as well. I'm at the point where I need to add another FV or two, and I'm probably going to go with buckets.
Oh yeah try to add fruit, oak or whole hops to a carboy. #canbedonebuthard

Quick Reply