New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I'm not allowed to go to the beer store alone anymore...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
TheZymurgist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Default I'm not allowed to go to the beer store alone anymore...

Went to pick up some supplies on Friday for yesterday's brew session, and also to get some feedback on a couple brews. After sitting around for an hour and sampling both my beers and a few others, I finally got around to gathering the ingredients I needed for the Milk Stout I was brewing. Here's the kicker: I forgot both the Flaked Oats and the Lactose. Not a huge deal, the beer will still turn out fine, just not what I wanted.

Here's the original recipe for a 5 gallon batch:

11.0 lbs Maris Otter
1.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.50 lbs Debittered Black Malt
0.50 lbs Roasted Barley
0.50 lbs Crystal 80L
1.00 lb Flaked Oats
1.00 lb Lactose

1.00 oz Chinook @ 60min
1.00 oz Northern Brewer @ 30min

1 pkg White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

2.00 oz Cocoa Nibs in secondary

OG ended up being 1.076 and I mashed at 154* (originally planned 150*) for a little extra mouth feel and sweetness since I didn't have the oats and lactose.

Lesson learned: double check the list before leaving. Still, I'm excited to see how this turns out. It will be my first time using the Cocoa Nibs, so here goes!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Hernando

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 103

I would imagine you could boil the lactose and add it prior to bottling/kegging.

When I first read this thread I thought you wee going to have the same problem I do; Getting more stuff than you planned on buying. your 30 dollar batch magically turns into 50 snaps. Looks like a prettygood recipe though should turn out well.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 09-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
rjsnau
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
I would imagine you could boil the lactose and add it prior to bottling/kegging.

When I first read this thread I thought you wee going to have the same problem I do; Getting more stuff than you planned on buying. your 30 dollar batch magically turns into 50 snaps. Looks like a prettygood recipe though should turn out well.
That is what I thought too. I still have yet to have a batch of beer come in under $60 even though my ingredient average is $40.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
TheZymurgist

Recipes 

Well, I did pick up an oxygen stone and regulator, so out of $100 total, only $40 was ingredients. I just tend to lose my mind in there.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

And then I always complain about trying to save up for an expensive piece of equipment because I spend too much on random crap

Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Hartski
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I'm still doing extract kit brews and can't do one for under $50. $7 for bottled water, $10 on ice to cool the wort, plus the cost of the kit...but i bought a wort chiller today, so that'll save cash in the long run.

Addicted to golf

Old 09-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
nickmv
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I know it's after the fact, but isn't plain jane Oatmeal the same thing as flaked oats?

Just wondering if that could have been subbed.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Hernando Likes This 
Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
Hernando

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
And then I always complain about trying to save up for an expensive piece of equipment because I spend too much on random crap
Holy crap this is exactly how I am. I beach and complain because I still don't have a wort chiller or kegging system but I pick up all these nic-nacs that are either backups or just seem like cool crap to have.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 09-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
Hernando

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
I know it's after the fact, but isn't plain jane Oatmeal the same thing as flaked oats?

Just wondering if that could have been subbed.
They are pretty much the same thing and yes instant oatmeal, quick oats can be subbed as well as rolled oats that are non-instant/quick oats. The good thing about the instant or quick oats is they don't need to be cooked before brewing with them.
O'tega Brewing

Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
TheZymurgist

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
They are pretty much the same thing and yes instant oatmeal, quick oats can be subbed as well as rolled oats that are non-instant/quick oats. The good thing about the instant or quick oats is they don't need to be cooked before brewing with them.
I thought about using them, and tried to look up whether I could, but I found conflicting information. So, I figured better safe than sorry. I'd rather have a good Stout than risk screwing up on something I haven't done before or read enough about.

I will, however, read up on this before next brew session, so that I have a back up if needed.

Love the picture of your boxers, by the way Hernando. Best dogs in the world!

Quick Reply