Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I'm never truly happy with my homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I definitely know my beers can be improved upon, no doubt about that. I am quite critical of my beers while I drink them, usually taking the time to taste it like you would a fine wine. I try to take down notes from first pours, around half a keg left and then when it gets towards the bottom, always looking for ways to improve or tweak the recipe.

That being said though, there has only been one beer I brewed that I didn't like and that was from a misjudgement of fermentation temp. Everything else I would put in at least the "enjoyable" category. Is it the best beer I've ever tasted? No, for sure it's not, but when I compare my beers to what else is out there for purchase, I feel I'm doing a pretty good job of making beer. I'm not trying to say that I am at a commercial level of quality and taste by any means, only that, for brewing at home, with a pretty make shift system, I brew a pretty enjoyable beer. I always look forward to filling a glass up and having a drink.

Now, I'm generally a glass half full kind of guy and well, I really like beer. I understand being critical of your brew, but to honestly not really like it? I just don't see the purpose of brewing. Yeah, I really enjoy the process, I like the fact that I am making a beverage, but if I didn't care for the final product, I'd really have to reconsider spending the time I do brewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #22
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
if I didn't care for the final product, I'd really have to reconsider spending the time I do brewing.
It's not that I don't like my beer. As you suggest, I wouldn't brew if I didn't like my product. However, I think it can always be improved and I have always been suspicious of the rave reviews thinking they were just being polite. Apparently the BJCP judges don't agree with me as attested to by my First Round Blue Ribbon for my Scottish Ale a few years ago.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #23
gmcapone
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think my beers are really good. During parties most people grab one of mine instead of a commercial, a brewer at NOLA said he really liked my red, and when I compare them to commercial beers I often like mine better.

It seems like I can never be satisfied with it though. I am at first, then the critiquing starts in my mind after a few glasses. I think as someone said, it may very well be palate fatigue.

Primary 1: Doppelbock
Primary 2: Dubbel (Demaciale)
Bottled/Kegged:Storm Giant IPA, Bananas Foster Ale, Storm Giant IPA, Black IPA (Head Hop IPA), Hefeweizen, Chipotle Ale (Juan More Cerveza)

Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #24
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am my own worst critic, though sometimes I get overly optimistic about the beer. I've won some awards and made some complete flops, the best part is the process and satisfaction that I brewed it.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #25
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Look into my eyes.....You must learn to relax....or never truly enjoy it you will

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Custom Hand Crafted Fine Brewing Implements, Mash Paddles & Wood Working For Brewers by a Brewer. Serving both Pro Brewers and Home Brewing Customers"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores World Wide.

Quick Reply