The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I'm never truly happy with my homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 287 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 196

For me, an in-depth look and troubleshooting of my process helped immensely for brewing better beer. One of those things to come out of that was temp control....makes a HUGE difference in quality and consistency. Being able to decrease the time from grain to glass is an added bonus!

The other aspect is ingredients. If you aren't getting the best/freshest/high quality stuff out there then its GIGO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
FourSeasonAngler
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Enter your beer in a homebrew competition. Let the judges decide. More often than not, you'll be treated to more compliments than critiques, and it will give you more confidence in your beer.

Why is the home brew always gone?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #13
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Same here, But I'm getting better with each brew day, watching my temps, rehydrating yeast, soon will try a starter, etc. Just little adjustments on each brew day. Recently did an AG BIAB. Looking forward to how that one turns out.

Primary: Centennial Blonde

Kegged: Stout

Upcoming: Porter

I love Yooper........

Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

sometimes I want to perfect a beer that I want to be unique, other times I just am content brewing a 3% bitter with 2 grains and 1 hop and just relaxing with my handmade beer and I feel great about it.

Mostly I'm content with what I made - I never enter comps but have judged a bunch

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 03-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 659 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 588

I'm still relatively new to this hobby, with 16 batches under my belt. I've had a couple "home runs" that keep me driving forward (a couple amazing Irish Reds, a great IPA and an awesome Pilsener lager), but even my "could-be-better" batches have been perfectly drinkable. I'm still perfecting my house pale ale recipe, and I have high hopes for the batch currently sitting in a fermenter.

I find the "mistake" batches far more educational than my successes. How else would I have learned that I really don't like Galena hops, or that you really CAN taste the vodka used to soak vanilla beans for my vanilla porter (I was sure 100 mL of vodka would just disappear in 5 gallons of beer, but there it is). This is all part of the fun, for me.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I hate to sound like a braggard but I love my brews. I brew about twice a month, mostly 5 gallon all grain and I sometimes come home from work and pull the tap and am in awe. Really! I have some I like better than others but I get a beeretion sometimes when drinking them.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I found that when I only have one batch to drink I am much more harsh than when I have two or more. I think part of it is palate fatigue to be honest.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm super critical of my beers. Everyone always tells me how good they are, and most are pretty good. But I always feel they can be improved upon. I think it's natural to be overly critical of your own beers.

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-lord
I hate to sound like a braggard but I love my brews. I brew about twice a month, mostly 5 gallon all grain and I sometimes come home from work and pull the tap and am in awe. Really! I have some I like better than others but I get a beeretion sometimes when drinking them.
Nice to hear - I feel the same way coming home from work or when someone says that this is better than some craft beer I've had.

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 03-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #20
ackbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm very critical as well. My brews have been getting consistently better as I dialed in temp control, pitching rate, etc. But overall I am happy with my last 6 or so batches. On the other side of the spectrum, a friend of mine describes his beer as "phenomenal". Every beer he has ever made is the best beer he's ever had. I don't come right out and tell him some are under attenuated or oxidized. I try to ask him about different aspects of his process, and give him tips. It's like talking to a wall. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Overall, i like my beer, but am overly critical of it...

Quick Reply