Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I'm never truly happy with my homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
gmcapone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default I'm never truly happy with my homebrew

Anyone else feel this way? Even when I'm initially thrilled with a brew, eventually I think there are balance issues or something that could make it better. "Needs more pine flavor, needs to be more complex, I wish it was a little sweeter, could have better head retention...."

Primary 1: Doppelbock
Primary 2: Dubbel (Demaciale)
Bottled/Kegged:Storm Giant IPA, Bananas Foster Ale, Storm Giant IPA, Black IPA (Head Hop IPA), Hefeweizen, Chipotle Ale (Juan More Cerveza)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I always nitpick my brews.

I have been happy with my creations but constantly in the back of my head I am thinking of how I will tweak it next time to make it that much better.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 03-13-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 13

All I can say is keep at it and welcome to the obsession. Now you just have to decide if you want to put in the time and research to make your beer better or if you're happy drinking mediocre homebrew. Chances are you may never be totally content but you can probably improve every part of the process if you work at it and that will in turn improve your beer.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You will always be your worst critic. I am the same way.

I started giving myself some slack one time when some friends were hanging out at my house and one of them headed in from the garage to get a beer. I asked him to pour me something, anything. There were tons of bottles (homebrew and commercial), growlers of homebrew, and kegs of homebrew from various people to chose from.

He returned with my beer and I kept chit chatting. At one point I stopped and said, "This is really good. What is it?"

He responsed, "I don't know. Whatever is on the left tap of your kegerator."

So, at that point I decided my beer was f*cking fine, and I only knit-picked it because it was mine. When presented with my own beer not knowing what it was, I thought it was great.

People Like This 
Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
mhurst111
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 828 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I am the same way. I do the same thing with cooking though, so I have written it off to my nature. Constantly thinking 'I bet I would like it better with a pinch of this or that'. ' i think it needs more x'.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
gmcapone
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpsteak
All I can say is keep at it and welcome to the obsession. Now you just have to decide if you want to put in the time and research to make your beer better or if you're happy drinking mediocre homebrew. Chances are you may never be totally content but you can probably improve every part of the process if you work at it and that will in turn improve your beer.
I've noticed a big improvement from when I first started and I've gone as far as building a ferm chamber, keezer, and doing water correction. I really think I just overly critical of myself. I never notice off flavors, just preferences in tastes or appearances.

I wish there were more competitions in the area so I could get unbiased feedback more often. You ever really can trust fiends and family.

Primary 1: Doppelbock
Primary 2: Dubbel (Demaciale)
Bottled/Kegged:Storm Giant IPA, Bananas Foster Ale, Storm Giant IPA, Black IPA (Head Hop IPA), Hefeweizen, Chipotle Ale (Juan More Cerveza)

Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #7
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have a long way to go.
I've had a couple of really good beers... those went fast, but I've also had a couple that either I just got tired of and poured out, or were so bad (to me) that they were un-drinkable.
I think I'm about ready to pour out the Pumpkin Ale.

Keg #1: Brown Bomber Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Keg #2: Lawnmower APA
Fermenter #1 The Bollocks ESB
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcapone View Post
Anyone else feel this way?..."
Yep. Always. My beers are well received, even by pro brewers and people whose opinions I respect. But none of my beers are perfect. There's always room for improvement.

My dad was a wild life artist. He was artist of the year for Ducks Unlimited and a runner up for a duck stamp the one time he submitted. He was never satisfied. He could point to what he perceived as flaws in every one of his works.

I've learned that its a sign of passion and a trait of most good artists.

Relax. Have a homebrew. Enjoy the fact that your friends like what you brew. Plan the next brew based on YOUR ideas.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
dryboroughbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 86 Posts

It's a common malady around here, 'Not bitter enough, increase 60 min 10%', 'Needs more roast flavor' 'Why do I ever put C60 in anything?' 'Not enough honey malt character' Just looking at my comments from my last 4 beers.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
Ridire
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 872 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 347

Story about nit-picking your beers. My first brew was a porter. After 3 weeks in the bottles it was ok but there was a flavor I thought was really a flaw. I have been letting it sit and the flavor has mellowed but has not gone away. It is not a bad flavor, just something that I thought was due to an error on my part. I decided it was never going to fully go away and that I'd just deal with it.

Over this past weekend, I was at the store and saw Edmund Fitzgerald porter by Great Lakes Brewing. This is my favorite porter but I haven't had it in a long time. I bought a six and brought it home. When I tasted the first sip, I'll be damned if that "off flavor" from my beer wasn't in there...I just had never noticed before because I wasn't closely analyzing the Fitz when I drank it before.

Now, my porter is nowhere near as good as the Fitz...but I learned a little something about being overly critical of my own beers from this experience.

Quick Reply