Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Im brewing my peanut butter porter tonight.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Im brewing my peanut butter porter tonight.....

WEll I'm gonna give a peanut butter porter a go tonight. I'm gonna work with the ingredients I got. I think it will turn out well. I wish mash around 154. Hopefully this will turn out good.

image-4083978935.jpg

image-4232902162.jpg

After it ferments I'm going to put 2 jars of bells PB2 powdered chocolate peanut butter in the secondary. Probably for about 2 weeks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4232902162.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	72473

It says each 7 oz jar is equal to 18oz of real peanut butter. I'm hoping this will put enough flavor in it for me.

Any thoughts?

image-4213553245.jpg  

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Kentunkel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just one thought...do I have any peanut butter? Mmmm. Sounds delicious!

Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Wont the oil kill your head retention?

Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
CHefJohnboyardee
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
The powdered peanutbutter is supposed to not be oily. I haven't done it but I've read about it working that way... Been wanting to try it.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir
The powdered PB2 has no oil. They use water instead of oil to give it the peanut buttery texture. But that's why I threw that 1lb of carapils in there. To insure good head retention.

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

For my PB porter, I used pale chocolate malt and belgian debittered black malt for color. I wanted to try to stay away from the roastiness of traditional dark malts. For a 5.5G batch, I used 8oz of 100% cocoa powder at the end of the boil and then 16oz of PB2 in secondary (it's a mess...use a funnel and have a thin stick or straw to stuff it down the funnel).

It's a good beer. Next time, I'm adding flaked oats and maybe a little bit of regular chocolate malt for a little bit of roastiness. Since I went very low with the hops (20 IBUs) and tried to stay away from the roastiness, it's a little too sweet for me. Non-craft beer drinkers love it because it's something different, it's sweet and it's a novelty.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 21

OH....powdered, I missed that/didnt know it existed. Glad I subscribed, please update us on the results.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I did a chocolate pb stout. i used PB2 (4 oz @ 5 min and 12 oz in the secondary for a week). When I do it again, I may double that. As it stands it has a PB flavor, but it's not strong.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou
For my PB porter, I used pale chocolate malt and belgian debittered black malt for color. I wanted to try to stay away from the roastiness of traditional dark malts. For a 5.5G batch, I used 8oz of 100% cocoa powder at the end of the boil and then 16oz of PB2 in secondary (it's a mess...use a funnel and have a thin stick or straw to stuff it down the funnel).

It's a good beer. Next time, I'm adding flaked oats and maybe a little bit of regular chocolate malt for a little bit of roastiness. Since I went very low with the hops (20 IBUs) and tried to stay away from the roastiness, it's a little too sweet for me. Non-craft beer drinkers love it because it's something different, it's sweet and it's a novelty.
Thanks for the advice. I might be throwing in some flaked oats. Hopefully, it's not too sweet. I hate sweet beer.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom
I did a chocolate pb stout. i used PB2 (4 oz @ 5 min and 12 oz in the secondary for a week). When I do it again, I may double that. As it stands it has a PB flavor, but it's not strong.
I wish I had more pb2........I probably won't throw any in the boil. I feel like it would be a waste. The yeast will probably eat up all the sugars

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS