New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I'm back from Germany

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default I'm back from Germany

My 3 week Germany vacation is now over and I'm back. I thought that I would have more internet access in Germany than I actually had so I had to take a break from HBT for this time.

But not a break from brewing. Not having many opportunities to visit a lot of breweries, it mostly didn't fit the schedule and we traveled with kids, I made it a mission for me to update up my taste memory of German beers and their styles. As a result I had almost 90 different beers during these 3 weeks and wrote down notes for all of them. I'll be posting the results here on my brewing log. I hope to release about 5 postings per day. Most of them are already written, but I want to make some minor edits before releasing them.

Being back in Germany was great. For 2 weeks we toured with my parent's RV through Bavaria. I visited the Bavarian Brewing Museum, Paulaner Brewery and the Maisel's Museum. Paulaner was great. There the tours are done by retired brewing staff. This gives you a knowledgeable guide and you may even chat a little later during the Brotzeit (meal with 2 beers) in the Paulaner cafeteria. BTW, Salvator is not boiled for more than 90 min. Some believe that it gets its color from a very long boil, but I already suspected that this is just a brewing legend. I asked and the guide said that a very long boil would actually harm the beer and that it would also not fit the in the brewhouse schedule, which is designed to pipeline multiple batches per day. This means the next batch is mashing while the current batch lauters.

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds like a great time. We had planned to visit Europe this year but finances did us in. Next year it is me and the wife for a vacation free of the kids for once and we are planinng and saving now.

I like the idea of 2 beers with a meal.

Gary

Old 08-02-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds great! I look forward to your reviews.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
I like the idea of 2 beers with a meal.
Towards the end I did 5 to 6 beers a day. Some already came in smaller amouths (like the 0.3 that restaurants sell) and others weren't good enough for me to finish half a liter of it. But I promised myself and my wife that I won't have beer for 2 weeks now. I need to brew anyway.

Kai

Old 08-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
paulthenurse

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 127 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
But I promised myself and my wife that I won't have beer for 2 weeks now. I need to brew anyway.

Kai
Will you need a script for Librium or Serax? I can talk to SWMBO if you like! LOL Welcome back.

Alcohol!

Because no-one ever started a great story with, "I was just finishing a lovely salad when..."

Quick Reply