Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Illegal Transportation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
lutherslagers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Illegal Transportation

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of states that prohibit the transportation of homebrew?

"Whoever drinks beer he is quick to sleep; whoever sleeps long does not sin; whoever does not sin enters Heaven! Thus let us drink beer"

"At home I have good wine and beer and a beautiful wife"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

In Utah, you are technically limited to transporting 72 ounces or less at a time: http://www.homebrewersassociation.or.../statutes/utah . YMMV.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
GrantH
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Missisippi...where it's illegal for us to do anything fun beer related.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No...but I am one of the few people that has gotten an "illegal transportation of alcohol" charge in this state. It was however when I was a minor...

Old 03-30-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Wow, never really thought about this... I brought 7 cases or so with me all the way from Colorado to Maine when I moved here. Probably a good thing the cop that pulled me over didn't ask what was in the back of the Uhaul. "Guns and beer mostly, officer". Sorry, can't help with your question!

Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
grndslm
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
Missisippi...where it's illegal for us to do anything fun beer related.
I dare you to back that up with an actual statute.

I've read a good bit of the MS Code and have never seen homebrewing explicitly labeled as illegel. I've even seen where the "Tax Commissioner"... or whatever his title is... is exlicitly allowed to keep homebrew and wine for himself... just so long as it's not "for sale".

Old 03-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
drathbone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
I dare you to back that up with an actual statute
"MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972
As Amended

Title 67
Chapter 001

SEC. 67-1-9. Alcoholic beverages prohibited except as authorized in this chapter; penalties.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, distill, brew, sell, possess, import into this state, export from the state, transport, distribute, warehouse, store, solicit, take order for, bottle, rectify, blend, treat, mix or process any alcoholic beverage except as authorized in this chapter
."

All they allow is home wine making and it never mentions homebrewing, therefore it is not an exception to MS law. Aside from that, the MS gov't website explicitly states that it's illegal to home brew beer. http://www.dor.ms.gov/info/faqs/Toba...Alcohol.html#v "Mississippi law does not allow someone to make beer or other malt products". A statement like that (on a gov't website) is generally backed by written law. In this case, it appears that it is.

In a related matter, it appears you can't transport it either.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Nukinfuts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What's up with MS? They need to get with the times. Such a beautiful state, but that alone will keep me out. I was actually considering a job in Biloxi.

I think I did read somewhere where they did raise the allowable alc %, or something.

"There are currently 36 counties in Mississippi that are dry for beer and light wine sales. Within these 36 counties, there are numerous municipalities that are wet for beer sales."

Old 03-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
Bradzukie
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

A great friend of mine (also a homebrewer) is an investigator for the local sheriffs office. He checked out Tennessee law regarding transportation of beer. You can only legally transport 5 gallons of beer at a time. I brew at my parents cabin (water is way better) and I transport the carboy/bucket to my house for fermenting. I usually ferment 5.5 gallons. I can get around the laws by not pitching yeast till I get home. Its not beer yet, its just flavored water. He said that's perfectly legal. Just make sure you can articulate that if you do get stopped.

Kind of a silly/outdated law as if your a bmc drinker and your headed to the river for the weekend. You could easily have 3-4 cases of beer in your vehicle. Im sure most officers wouldn't give you any hassle as 95% of the officers I know will have a beer or two. Also, im sure most of them are unaware of how much beer can be transported off the top of their heads.

So if you get stopped transporting maybe 10 or 15 gallons just tell them you are a homebrewer and your bringing it to a function/wedding/wherever. Im sure they wont care and may even ask about your hobby.

Cheers!

Old 03-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
sirgeoph
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukinfuts View Post
What's up with MS? They need to get with the times. Such a beautiful state, but that alone will keep me out. I was actually considering a job in Biloxi.

I think I did read somewhere where they did raise the allowable alc %, or something.

"There are currently 36 counties in Mississippi that are dry for beer and light wine sales. Within these 36 counties, there are numerous municipalities that are wet for beer sales."
As fellows from New Orleans, it generally blows our minds when other places are strict about alcohol, eh?

Quick Reply