Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I'll never understand why....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #21
ElyIrishBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
Chill poindexter. We get it, you hate old labels.

I've pulled the labels off because at some point I want to put my own on. Otherwise, I wouldn't care. Old scruffy labels don't migrate through the glass and detract from the taste of the beer, do they? And drinking a beer is about 10-15 minutes out of my life (OK, sometimes 2 minutes). Forget the label, Mabel.

There, I discussed it. I feel much better now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
verbhertz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Labels come off naturally when I soak used bottles for the first time. It's easy and besides, if I was new to homebrew and skeptical, I wouldn't want to try someone homemade beer out of a fat tire bottle. It just doesn't instill confidence. That being said, it doesn't affect the beer if all other sanitation practices are followed so to each their own.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #23
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2451 Times on 1727 Posts
Likes Given: 1405

I have never used a bottle with the original label on it. I'd rather have a perfectly clean bottle for myself, and for SURE would never want to give out bottles with some old label on them.

Cleaning them off is a little bit of work. It's not the work that is troublesome to me, it's the time. My usual process is to soak them for a couple of hours or overnight in a large kitchen trash can full of oxiclean.

Then something comes up to interfere with the cleaning and they sit there for a few days or more until get the time and right attitude to get back to them. By then the water is cold and they don't come off as clean. I might have to reheat or make more hot solution.

The actual de-labeling is not a big deal. Some brands I just return or toss out, depending on how hard they are to return. I just skip the brands I know are horrible to remove the labels from (I'M LOOKING AT YOU SHORTS!)

The bonus comes when I can convince someone else to rinse them and hang them on the bottle tree.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #24
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I bottle all of my batches and do de-label every bottle. Its a pain, but I tend to do it as I go, about 6-7 bottles at a time. I like the way it looks, its cleaner, and I feel gives a better impression when I give them away. Im also labeling the ones I give away too though. Regardless, I write the beer name on the caps so I know what everything is. Personal preference; as long as the beer inside is good, who cares?

Old 11-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 1185

For the same reason that people will buy an nice car, spend the time to service and maintain the engine but neglect to wash and wax it. Some people are too lazy to worry about aesthetics.

Next up: Belgian Wit
Primary 1&2: Citric Acid IPA (All Citra)
Primary 3&4: Amber Rain Amber Ale
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: German Kolsch, Osage Pale Ale.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #26
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I like to leave the labels on so it will repulse picky people and they will not drink my beer.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #27
danielbt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Take some pride in your craft. How lazy do you have to be for it to be too much of a burden to soak bottles in oxiclean? No scraping involved. No interaction involved until you rinse, which you do anyway when you clean your bottles.

You do actually clean your bottles, right?

Old 11-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #28
OlatheSurferDude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use it as therapy when I want to be involved but have the fermenter busy and in wait mode. I have built up enought bottles that I don't have to remove to many bottles. For me oxyclrean and hot eater does trick. Oh reminds me need to soak some bottles in bucket I'll need for tonight.brew session.

2011 Brewed Total - 22.5 Gal
2012 Brewed Total - 12.5 Gal
2012 Goal - 60 Gal

Old 11-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #29
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbt
Take some pride in your craft. How lazy do you have to be for it to be too much of a burden to soak bottles in oxiclean? No scraping involved. No interaction involved until you rinse, which you do anyway when you clean your bottles.

You do actually clean your bottles, right?
I take pride in what goes into the bottels, not the bottels themselves. You could call it lazyness, I call it apathy.

I keg most everything but if I want to bottle a few I run them through the dishwasher, and could care less if the labels come off or not.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #30
Caveman3141
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
For the same reason that people will buy an nice car, spend the time to service and maintain the engine but neglect to wash and wax it. Some people are too lazy to worry about aesthetics.
Because with beer, like with cars, it's what's under the hood that matters. That, and I guess SA and SN use some sort of super industrial glue with their labels because because I soak all of my bottles in a warm 1:10 bleach solution before bottling and the labels have never seemed like they were ready to come off easily.

Quick Reply