Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I'll never understand why....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
mcspanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb2658
You don't make a pizza, including the crust, from scratch and then serve it out of a 2 week old Dominos pizza box that is saturated with rancid grease or bake a cake from scratch and serve it out of a used cellophane-top box from the grocery store bakery. Why would you do the equivalent for your beer?
Completely different. The bottle itself is the pizza box/ cake container. That gets cleaned.
What's stuck to the outside of it has no taint of "rancid grease". Lighten up perhaps.

Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Mb2658
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspanner

Completely different. The bottle itself is the pizza box/ cake container. That gets cleaned.
What's stuck to the outside of it has no taint of "rancid grease". Lighten up perhaps.
Hey, if you want to be the kid at school with stains all over his clothes, be my guest.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
dietz31684
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Guilty. I keg my beer and fill up bottles from the tap if I want to bring my brew somewhere or give them away. It doesn't affect anything, so why worry about it? The inside is clean/sanitized. I've got better things to do than scrape bottles. If I bottled entire batches and re-used the bottles then I'd probably go thru the trouble, but I just take them somewhere to drink and they get left behind.

You could take it another step and say 'I'll never understand why people drink their beers from plain brown bottles'. If you go thru the trouble to brew it why not create your own labels...

Old 11-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
johngault007
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used to be very specific about my bottles and had to have them perfectly clean and free of it's former contents, including the labels. Yes it takes a long time, and it's not as fun as making the beer.

Since moving to kegs, I haven't been that concerned with labels when I do have to bottle a batch, call it basic laziness. I usually don't have complaints from people when I pass out free homebrew in a bottle with remnants of a label on the outside. And it hasn't changed the taste of the beer any.

Kegged: Concussion Red
Upcoming Brews:Moneypenny IPA, Chocolate Oatmeal Stout (w/cherry)

Old 11-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 475 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 574

It's a waste of time and effort. I label the bottle cap so I know what it is and I always pour my beer in a pint glass anyway. IMO it makes no difference in the end so why even bother with the label. It's just more time I could spend doing something else.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Simcoe Cream Ale
Primary : Pumpkin Pie Cider
On Tap : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 11-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
mcspanner
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb2658

Hey, if you want to be the kid at school with stains all over his clothes, be my guest.
Again, bad analogy, stains are the result of poor hygiene, sloppy eating. Labels that stay on after sanitisation are only indicative of having better things to do with your time than scrape a bottle.

Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

Old 11-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
dietz31684
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb2658 View Post
Chill poindexter. We get it, you hate old labels.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb2658 View Post
You don't make a pizza, including the crust, from scratch and then serve it out of a 2 week old Dominos pizza box that is saturated with rancid grease or bake a cake from scratch and serve it out of a used cellophane-top box from the grocery store bakery. Why would you do the equivalent for your beer?
Your analogy doesn't hold water. The beer bottle is simply the carbonation vehicle. I bet most on here, unless in a pinch serve their home brew out of a beer glass, not the bottle.

When I make pizza from scratch I use the same oven I've had in my house for 5 years and the pizza stone my grandmother used in her oven in 1940. Do I serve it out of the oven or on the stone, of course not. I place on nice plates or a serving platter and garnish. Much like with my beer, when someone comes to enjoy one of my home brews I pop the lid pour into a glass and give to them and set the bottle aside for re-use. Although, most of the labels don't make it through cleaning/sanitization.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #19
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

this is exactly why I don't drink people's beer when it still has labels on it. I saw one guy serving his beers at a local bar that has a homebrew happy hour. He had Samuel Smith Bottles with the labels on. Samuel Smith labels fall of in 2 minutes in lukewarm water. He had brought his first 4 batches of beer. It was obvious to me that the bottles hadn't been sanitized. Gross.

Dried Apricot Cider Ale
Indeed "Burr Grinder" Clone
Breakfast in Beer
Pumpkin Latte
Heady the Elder
Primary:

(1) Therman Merman (IPA)

Secondary:
(1) Drunken Donut aging on Sugar Whiskey Staves, vanilla beans, knob creek, and disarrono.
509inc Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #20
bioguy
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RmikeVT View Post
I bet most on here, unless in a pinch serve their home brew out of a beer glass, not the bottle.
That's basically me. If I'm giving the bottles away and want to create an entire image, I'll do up the labels, wrap them and put a bow on. If you're at my house, I'm going to pour them out of a tap. I haven't polished the kegs (looks like a lot of work--and I'd rather brew), but they're inside the fridge and won't be seen. Likewise when I bottle stuff (like a barley wine that I'm going to age) I'll bottle in anything that is clean inside. I'm going to present the beer in a nice glass--not in a bottle.

Quick Reply