Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "The IKEA Effect", or yet another reason why I love my homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
ajfranke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default "The IKEA Effect", or yet another reason why I love my homebrew

I came across this article describing what academics have termed "The IKEA Effect", or the theory that having a hand in making something causes us to grow more attachment to that object.

Article: http://neoacademic.com/2011/09/22/unfolding-the-ikea-effect-why-we-love-the-things-we-build/
Journal Paper: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1057740811000829

After reading the abstract, I immediately thought of my homebrew. Do I like drinking it because it's good beer? Or do I like it because it's passable beer, and *I* made it?

But the authors' study also raises an interesting point: in cases where the study subjects didn't complete their building tasks, they showed less attachment. Does this effect make it easier for homebrewers to dump spoiled batches?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1954 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1447

I tend to think it's passable to good,but we perceive it as the greatest contribution to mankind because we made it. Not to mention it's something we finished ourselves. An achievement of sorts. So we'd naturally value it more highly than someone elses.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
meteorbrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first two batches had off flavours, but I drank them anyways because *I* made it. Not sure I would have drank it otherwise. Though my 3 batch tastes good, so maybe it'll be a beer i let others try!

"Beer that is not drunk had missed its vocation."

Up Next: Anything! Something to use up my citra.
Primary: Cider
Bottled: Winter Warm Front, EdWort's Raspberry Apfelwein, Red Dawn Raspberry Wheat

Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I prefer to call it the "Ugly Baby Syndrome"

Old 09-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I dunno if I don't think my beer is objectively good, I end up dumping it or giving it away. And if anything I feel I am probably a harsher critic of my own beer than someone else's.

The only batches I drink are the ones I really enjoy drinking. If it wouldn't score in at least the 30's in a competition I end up dumping it or giving it to people who don't care what their beer tastes like.

Life is too short to waste on drinking sub-par beer.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorbrews View Post
My first two batches had off flavours, but I drank them anyways because *I* made it. Not sure I would have drank it otherwise. Though my 3 batch tastes good, so maybe it'll be a beer i let others try!
My first few batches (7 of 8 were Mr. Beotches) were bad, but in the interest of science, I drank them. Tried earlier this year with fresher Mr. B ingredients and Notty yeast - not much of an improvement. If I hadn't made them, I would have politely declined a second. I also toughed it out through a foamy infected batch, trying all sorts of methods to please the angry foamy volcano gods. Came close but no cigar.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I dunno if I don't think my beer is objectively good, I end up dumping it or giving it away.

Life is too short to waste on drinking sub-par beer.
I agree. If something obviously turns out poorly, I dump it in relatively short order. I'll usually give it a few pints, if it's bad and my roommate isn't drinking, down the drain it goes.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:03 AM   #8
biochemedic

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I think the answer comes from the sharing...do your non-homebrewer associates place as much value on your brew as you do?

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 09-25-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
ajfranke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic
I think the answer comes from the sharing...do your non-homebrewer associates place as much value on your brew as you do?
I had similar thoughts. It begs testing: homebrew vs. commercial, looking at the brewers' opinions and those of their bystander friends. Of course, one difficulty is that there is so much subjectivity in what makes "high-value" beer. Even if clones are brewed, and labels are removed, the definition of "good" beer to a homebrewer or a bystander depends much on their respective expectations.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:41 AM   #10
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My wife is usually brutally honest with me and she told me recently she can't drink a number of beers she used to after drinking my homebrew. My future brother in law is a huge fan and now brews, as well as my inlaws. My parents want to put my beer on tap at their house/pool bar. A number of my friends who are strictly BMC drinkers are coming around to them.

I had one person tell me my beers are gross, but she doesn't really drink beer at all. Probably shouldn't have started off with the IPA I poured for her husband.

My Marines, who never hesitate to give me a hard time in good fun want to buy my beer.

I've had a pair of batches I don't care for and don't share, but the ones I like I do.

I've been happy with how they've turned out and I'm tough on them with judging them. I've never entered a beer into a competition.

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Quick Reply