Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Igothops.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 06:15 AM   #1
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Igothops.com

Yo beeyotches....

check out what I picked in my garden today...

Booyakasha!!!!!

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Oh yeah? I found this growing over by the picnic table...

At work! I suppose it grows wild down here though...

Sweet looking cone Dude, I can hardly wait for mine next year.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have been thinking about growing my own hops. Would a 9 foot eve be enough room for hops to go up if I slanted the string at 45 degrees? Also going to have to get 9 feet of 3 foot high fence to keep my dog out of it.... hops + dog = dead dog. Living in the Wilamette valley, Salem OR, what varieties would turn out best. Mt. Hood, Cascade or Wilamette maybe? I know that eventhough one might get the same seeds farmers use for their crops east kent goldings grown in east kent county in england will turn out different than when grown anywhere else. So, what varieties would turn out best for my geographic location? And what hops might have the most radical differances? (would be a fun to grow hops out of their traditional region >=)

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 08-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Way cool Dude!!

LMFAO Cheyco! Edit: My guess is that some of your co-workers were rolling one and pitched the seeds onto the ground...probably how a lot of it grows "wild" in Canada

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Old 08-08-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Grimsy- Go to freshops.com and read what Dave has to say about local hops. You can purchase rhyzomes in April. Since his hop farm is in Philomath, there is no chance of them drying out. There are also many hop farms just north of you, but I don't think most of them do retail.

9 feet is enough. Hops can kill, but most of the flowers will be near the top of the plant and you can strip the lower side branches before they bloom. The only cases I've been able to confirm involved dogs eating all of the spent hops from a brewing run. It's like chocolate, dangerous, but it takes a fairly large amount to kill.

By the way, Hop Madness is Aug. 26-27 over in Brooks. I'll be there and many of the attendees grow their own hops.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-08-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Oh yeah? I found this growing over by the picnic table...
Same family! Or genus. Or whatever.

Mine has busted out in flowers, but I guess since it's the first year it'll be a light crop. I'm not sure if my Fuggles made it or not.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
Way cool Dude!!

LMFAO Cheyco! Edit: My guess is that some of your co-workers were rolling one and pitched the seeds onto the ground...probably how a lot of it grows "wild" in Canada
When we lived in Iowa, we went away on vacation once--came back a couple weeks later to see a 7-foot tall pot plant growing beside the house.

I guess it had been there a little while and we just hadn't seen it, but apparently this wasn't that unusual. A fair amount of MAry Jane was grown there back oin the day (easy to hide in corn fiels) and the seeds are definitely around in the ecosystem now.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 08-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 406 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 106

The found like one hundred some odd plants growing in one of my grandfather's old cornfields when I was in college, maybe two hundred yards from my folks' house. Of course, it wasn't gramps' weed (he may have actually already passed away by then), growers will use existing corn fields as cover for their activities. Of course, I never *knew* about this particular piece of horticulture until it was on the front page of the newspaper.

I remember too that day that a bunch of cops came into the convenience store to buy Gatorade and such, looked out the window and their pickup truck was FILLED completely with pot plants they had taken out. Like, a big pickup, completely overflowing. Frickin' a....

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:04 PM   #9
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Grimsy- Go to freshops.com and read what Dave has to say about local hops. You can purchase rhyzomes in April. Since his hop farm is in Philomath, there is no chance of them drying out. There are also many hop farms just north of you, but I don't think most of them do retail.

9 feet is enough. Hops can kill, but most of the flowers will be near the top of the plant and you can strip the lower side branches before they bloom. The only cases I've been able to confirm involved dogs eating all of the spent hops from a brewing run. It's like chocolate, dangerous, but it takes a fairly large amount to kill.

By the way, Hop Madness is Aug. 26-27 over in Brooks. I'll be there and many of the attendees grow their own hops.
Thanks for the info David_42, much appreciated. That sounds like a fun camp-out! Maybe next year when I have the rest of my brew equipment (stuff to brew outside, etc) I'll make that trip. Do you know of any farms around here that sell hops/malt/etc... that a homebrewer could pick up at a good price? Do people show up at saturday market in salem with hops/malted barly/etc?

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 08-09-2006, 12:29 AM   #10
Brewiz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've got quite a few cones but not sure when to harvest. Any ideas??

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS