Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ignorant Drinkers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
mblakely
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ignorant Drinkers

OK so I bartend at an Irish Pub that is a bit of an extention for a brew pub. We serve 6 House beers (light ale, Pale Ale, Nitrogen Red, Porter, Stout, Irish Lager) and one seasonal. We also carry common commercial beers as well as some better bottle beers (Schnider Wisse, Aventinus, Frauch) So we are fairly diverse. Now far be it from me to tell someone what beer will taste good to them, but I am constantly battleing misconseptions about craft brews. To me this is ignorance, but changing peoples minds about the quality of fresh brewed craft beers is a challange I face every day.

I love to taste new a different beers whereever I go. And I know I am preaching to the choir, but you all must have faced this problem when offering your beer to friends. How do you deal with it? What do you talk about?

I am very proud of our beers and love to talk about them, and often if they taste our beer with an open mind, they enjoy it. But too often, they won't even try.

Side note: Durring a busy evening, and dealing with a unruly patron, they wanted something we make that was like a Mic Ultra, so I offered to pour them a half draft and fill the rest with water.

Primary #1:Apricot Amber
Primary #2: Dry Hopped Amber
Secondary #1: Nothing
Secondary #2:Nothing
Bottles: Head Butt Pale Ale, Vanilla Cream Porter, IPA, Wee Heavy Scotch Ale, Aventinus Clone, English Brown
Planning: Peach plambic, Summer Shandy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblakely
Side note: Durring a busy evening, and dealing with a unruly patron, they wanted something we make that was like a Mic Ultra, so I offered to pour them a half draft and fill the rest with water.
Bwahahaha! Did that work? God, so funny...so sad...

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 06-20-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Tell them if they can't handle real beer then they need to go down the road to the next BMC bar. If someone is unable to be open to trying new things then they should stick to what they know and not even enter a brew pub, or leave with out a fuss if they don't know what they are getting into. It's like my wife she hates IPA's but she try's everyone that I make with an open mind, thinking that maybe this one might be the one that changes her mind.

Cheers

Old 06-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Mark at GVB recommends 1/3 Golden, 1/3 Wheat, 1/3 soda water. The soda water has to go in first or you get a monster head.

Since all of my friends here are homebrewers, no problem! My neighbors won't touch the stuff.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The following is general advice and doesn't apply to the submitter or any specific person on these boards.

*shrug*

I think the only thing to do is offer to share your knowledge but, if declined, don't make yourself unapproachable by treating their choice with disdain.

In my experience the biggest problem that people who are passionate about something (and want others to be passionate about) is that they react to someone declining to follow their lead poorly--- they try and make them feel stupid for not appreciating the same things in the same ways. This is the worst way to try and change people's minds.

Not only does it make it less likely that they'll go to you for information on what 'good beer' is like but they are more likely to think that all 'craft brew people' are the same kind of person who will treat them poorly for not following their lead.

The best way to change people's minds is be friendly and approachable. Don't bag on folks who don't make the choices you do. When they are interested in hearing what you have to say and exploring something new they'll ask someone who was friendly and accomodating, not judgemental and lecturing.

This applies to so much more than beer--- politics, sex, wine, food, sports, video games, computers, operating systems.... there are enough people out there being jerks and polarizing people away from their passions. Don't be that guy too.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
RickWG
Recipes 

Took some of my scottish ale to a party last weekend and everyone was afraid to try it. Then a guy manned up and I poured him a glass and he said, "Wow Rick, this is really good. I thought I was going to have to tell you it was good and go around the corner and pour it out." I dunno how to take it either.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:39 PM   #7
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I know in my BMC days I didn't want to take the chance of spending good money on something I didn't like so I just went with what I knew. What finally turned me around was the samplers at a brewpub. On that note, does your pub allow you to pour samples? If you could give them a try before they spent their money I bet a lot more would come around.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'm with kornkob. People should drink what they like. Do your best to open their eyes to the possibilities, but beyond that it's really none of your business. Maybe they've tried craft brews and didn't like them, maybe they just don't want to.

The Goose Island brewpub in Chicago has bottles of Bud Light available (and probably some other BMCs). Not on the menu, not on the beer board...but if you ask, you can have one. To me, that's the right approach.

For every person you look down your nose at for wanting a Bud Light, there's someone (not me) looking down their nose at your "Irish" pub for serving a light ale, or a pale ale...or even an Irish Lager, which is a late 20th-century invention...

Old 06-20-2007, 09:01 PM   #9
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifelee
I know in my BMC days I didn't want to take the chance of spending good money on something I didn't like so I just went with what I knew. What finally turned me around was the samplers at a brewpub. On that note, does your pub allow you to pour samples? If you could give them a try before they spent their money I bet a lot more would come around.
This is a philosophy I don't understand. Why waste your money experiencing something you are already familiar with? Why not try something new with that money?
I guess I'm a little different than most people in that I like just about anything, so worst case if I try something new it maybe just OK. But I do it because it may be great, or even one of the best beers/meals/etc I have ever had. I also do not drink to get a buzz. I think I've only done that a few times in my life. I just don't find it fun. So I have never tried to optimize my alcohol by buying cheaper drinks.

Craig

Old 06-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #10
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron
This is a philosophy I don't understand. Why waste your money experiencing something you are already familiar with? Why not try something new with that money?
Same for food. I almost always try something different on the menu when I eat out. I know people who go to the same resturants all the time and then always order the same item. As they say, variety is the spice of life.

Quick Reply