The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Igloo 60 quart cube help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Qeelin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Igloo 60 quart cube help

Can someone who has an empty Igloo 60 or 70 quart cube cooler and a couple of ball lock corny kegs please do me a favor? First of all will the two cornies fit inside the cooler and if so how much do they stick out of the top? I'm thinking of using one of these to take my brew on a camping trip. I plan to wrap the tops of the kegs with a blanket or an old sleeping bag and pack the cooler with ice. I don't want to go out and buy the cooler only to find out that two kegs won't even fit side by side in it.

This would be a great help to me,

Thanks!!

"A good beer will sell itself" -Kosmos Spoetzl

Fermenting:
Bottled: Fireside Ale, Blackberry Melomel
Kegged:
On Deck: Fireside Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Dome555
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I don't have one of those coolers but out of curiousity I have to ask. Why not a garbage can with ice?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Qeelin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dome555 View Post
I don't have one of those coolers but out of curiousity I have to ask. Why not a garbage can with ice?
That IS an option too. I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep two kegs cold over a 3 day camping trip without having to buy a ton of ice. The trash can would cost almost as much as the cooler but it isn't insulated. I would have to buy about 4 bags of ice a day to keep it happy.

Fermenting:
Kegged:

Old 04-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Dome555
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I was assuming garbage cans would be much cheaper than the cooler. A quick googling confirmed what you said though. Can't believe garbage cans cost that much. Forget either container, they're both too expensive. Just bring a shovel and a construction style garbage bag. Dig a hole just big enough to fit the kegs, line with trash bag, add kegs, apply ice, consume. Plus the beer will taste better after digging the hole.

Unless of course there's a stream where you're camping. Streams keep beer at a very pleasant temperature. One of the few things I learned in highschool.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Qeelin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dome555 View Post
I was assuming garbage cans would be much cheaper than the cooler. A quick googling confirmed what you said though. Can't believe garbage cans cost that much. Forget either container, they're both too expensive. Just bring a shovel and a construction style garbage bag. Dig a hole just big enough to fit the kegs, line with trash bag, add kegs, apply ice, consume. Plus the beer will taste better after digging the hole.

Unless of course there's a stream where you're camping. Streams keep beer at a very pleasant temperature. One of the few things I learned in highschool.
THAT sir, is a GREAT idea, LOL!

Fermenting:
Kegged:

Old 04-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
Qeelin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just because it's a good idea doesn't mean I don't still need those dimensions. Digging a hole would be great if I wasn't camping at a state park.

Fermenting:
Kegged:

Old 04-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

you can't fit a ball lock in a cube with out cutting holes in the lids.

there was an R2D2 portable kegorator floating around some where. the top of the keg has to stick up a good amount out of the lid.

-=Jason=-

Old 04-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #8
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The 5 gallon kegs will definitely be too tall to close the lid. I am not sure about the ability to get them in the cooler together as I am not at home to check.

On a side note, the Igloo Cube 70 qt max cool will fit (2) 3 gallon cornies and a 5lb co2 bottle with regulator. Makes a great roll about tap system for (2) 3 gallon kegs and stays cool for a long time.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 04-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 780

They stick out a LOT! About 1/2 of the corny sticks out. do you want me to take a picture? I can find my camera and run downstairs if you need me to- but trust me, about 1/2 is out of the cooler!

Old 04-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #10
Seamus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The lid is easily removable. Take it off and replace it with a piece of foam insulation with a hole cut in it. It works well.

Quick Reply