Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > If you were opening a brewery in your area...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
lunchbox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default If you were opening a brewery in your area...

If you were opening a brewery in your area, would it be a good investment? Is there a market for craft beer in your city, or are their too many breweries already?

For example, I live in the Charlotte NC area with a population of just shy of one million people in the county. The craft beer scene is not huge, but it's been growing steadily. As of now there are seven or eight breweries, and I think that it could sustain one or two extra, but not much more than that.

So, what about your city?

Resident Minarchist

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 245 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Over the past two years two breweries have opened in my city. One is a brewpub which opened in the newly revitalized downtown area, the other is a tap room that opened in an industrial park. Both are doing quite well and a lot better than I expected for the area. I think the area could possibly support at least one more brewpub and possibly another taproom. We also just got a LHBS and the local homebrew club has quite a few members, so the beer scene here is on a pretty good track.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 37

There is a great market for beer here as far as people willing to pay for beer. There is also at least 10 breweries within 30 miles. Some also have come and failed and gone. Drinking a $7 beer is not exciting enough on it's own though. With the addition of entertainment and good food one could always justify one more. IMHO without cigarette smoking drinking is pretty dull. I don't smoke anymore. I am just saying.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by grathan View Post
MHO without cigarette smoking drinking is pretty dull. I don't smoke anymore. I am just saying.
Not that it has changed my habits in going to bars.. I was never happier than when you could't smoke inside anymore. I hated the burning eyes and the reeking clothes afterward.

Banning indoor smoking IMO is one of the best ordinances ever!

Sorry for the ranting hijack.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
luke_d
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts

I live in Sacramento, and there are a few breweries, Rubicon Brewing Company, to name one. There are a few brewpubs in the surrounding areas and nano breweries as well. However they all seem to be ale based with not too much emphasis on lagers. please don't quote me on this! there may be some lager breweries here but my impression of the breweries seem to me like they're all directed towards the hop head crowd, which is fine because I am one of those. However ifI were to open a brewery here in Sacramento I'd probably go for a lager based brewery so I could have something that sets me apart, thus bringing in some more business.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1840 Times on 1622 Posts
Likes Given: 1310

Used to be a brewery in Lorain,but prohibition took care of that. Not to mention the classic ones in Cleveland & some other Ohio cities. As far as craft breweries,or brewpubs,the closest one is in North Olmstead,about 1/2 hour away. We need a good brewpub around here. Wish I had the money,& since my daughter is a chef...her & one or two others are pushing me to open a brewery. They love my beers,but who's got 10-100K for start up & licencing?

Old 06-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It depends on the type of brewery/brew pub. If they make IPAs, APAs, and the normal german lagers/english/american ales I'd say no. The city being Harrisburg, PA. If it was a place that specialized in more Belgian or sour ales I think it'd find its own niche. I feel the market everywhere is saturated with mainstream IPAs and APAs. When I go to a taproom and all I see is IPA taps I get disappointed. It's not the only style but it is probably the most popular. I like IPAs but I also like to drink other stuff. So when there's a new brewery and I see all they have is a bunch of hoppy beers I don't even visit because how different can this new place's IPA/APA really be compared to established breweries? To me it's one of those scenarios where the industry is at a point of maturity, and saturation, that just making a solid IPA/APA or whatever isn't enough now compared to when brewing an IPA was a more "extreme" style 15 years ago.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 826 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 109

we're starting to get oversaturated in our area. can't swing a dead lawyer in this town without hitting a brewery

what we need is a LHBS

but it is nice to go to a taproom with 50 taps. we also have a new cinema drafthouse that just opened up (we're going to see WWZ there tonight) with 30 taps

img_8329.jpg

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

isleofman Likes This 
Old 06-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Not that it has changed my habits in going to bars.. I was never happier than when you could't smoke inside anymore. I hated the burning eyes and the reeking clothes afterward.

Banning indoor smoking IMO is one of the best ordinances ever!

Sorry for the ranting hijack.
I don't disagree. I cannot stand be around smoke.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1840 Times on 1622 Posts
Likes Given: 1310

We could use both around here. LHBS is in Westlake,Brewpub is in North Olmstead. Breweries like Thirsty Dog & Hoppin' Frog are in Akron,2-2.5 hours one way from here. The Dollar Tree moved kitty corner across the intersection from my side. The store in the Giant Eagle plaza is still empty. I'd like to turn it into a brewpub/pit bbq/LHBS. It's certainly just big enough for all 3. I'd do maybe 2 IPA's english & American pale ales,English bitter,maybe a milk stout. That kinda stuff.

Quick Reply