Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > If you could work in the beer industry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
farmbrewernw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default If you could work in the beer industry

So if you could work in the beer industry would you knowing that you would have to make a lot less money? I am currently in the civil engineering field and I got to say I'm pretty sure it's not for me anymore. I have wanted to get into the beer industry for some time and now I'm thinking what the heck. I just applied at my LHBS in hopes of starting over but I'll have to make less than half what I make now and I'll loose all my benefits but I think I would be totally happy. The guy that is leaving is starting a brewery so I'm kind of thinking this job could be a springboard to become a brewer at some point.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
SporkD2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You only live life once

Old 06-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Maybe you should try some weekend shifts to see if you like it before you jump to any decisions.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thats a big pay cut. Sometimes, ok all the time, happyness can override money. It would be very hard for me to take 1/2 as much now just to be happy. I dont like my job, but I like all the stuff it allows me to buy.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Depends on what your obligations are. I would be happy volunteering to dispense homebrew advice all day at Homebrewmart in San Diego while tasting beers all day, but that won't pay the bills or get my kids through college or pay for my brewhaus.

If I had a source of steady income equal to what I earn now, I could go work in a LHBS, but I would not work in a brewery as then it would be come work. I'd like to own one and come dabble in it, you know, do hop additions, turn some valves, take gravity readings, watch the hired help clean out the kettles & mash tuns, etc.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

if you can pay your bills and have enough left over each month to still brew and enjoy your life then I say go for it

Old 06-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Depends on what your obligations are. I would be happy volunteering to dispense homebrew advice all day at Homebrewmart in San Diego while tasting beers all day, but that won't pay the bills or get my kids through college or pay for my brewhaus.
I swear when I am in Home Brew Mart I spend half of my time talking to new brewers. I love it. I would totally work there on weekends or even just give advice. I love my local home brew store.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Oh, and in response to the actual topic: I am currently working on paying down my debt so I can go back to school to become a professional brewer. I've never wanted to do something more in my life and I know brewing would make me happy. If you can afford to do so, I say go for it.

Although, unless your home brew store has a brewery attached like mine, you might be better off looking into a job as a cellarman or something at a brewery. I think that's a much more suitable springboard job.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah actually it starts as a part time position that I can do on the weekends and still keep my other job then transitions into full time come fall. I'm fairly young, 26, and my wife and I have no kids as of yet and we carry no debt at this time so it seems to me to be a good time to do it. The pay cut is a really hard one but I watched my dad do a job he absolutely hated for 25 years and I told myself I would never do that.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
and stufffff.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
Oh, and in response to the actual topic: I am currently working on paying down my debt so I can go back to school to become a professional brewer. I've never wanted to do something more in my life and I know brewing would make me happy. If you can afford to do so, I say go for it.

Although, unless your home brew store has a brewery attached like mine, you might be better off looking into a job as a cellarman or something at a brewery. I think that's a much more suitable springboard job.
I've actually been talking to a friend about helping out with starting a brewery that has been down for some time. I figure that would be a side thing as I doubt it would pay much at this point but it would be a great way to learn. The job with the HBS would build a lot of contacts and I think this would be a good way to get in with someone eventually.

Quote:
and stufffff.

Last edited by farmbrewernw; 06-25-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply