Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > If you add ground coffee at the end of your boil...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
phenry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default If you add ground coffee at the end of your boil...

Be sure to find a way to filter out those grounds before your bottling bucket, or grind the beans into a fine powder. Just got done with the most frustrating bottling session I've ever had. Bits of coffee ground would get stuck in my bottle filler's plunger every other bottle, so I'd wager it pissed about 2 bottles worth of beer onto the floor. I had to clean it out about 20 times during bottling, a PITA I don't ever want to repeat.

But the Breakfast Stout clone those grounds got added to does taste delicious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Was it a spring loaded or pressure loaded bottling wand? Are you sure it was coffee grounds?

I have a couple of the pressure loaded wands, and they get either beer stone or hard water deposits on the seat and don't seal very well after a while. I clean them occasionally with CLR.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Pressure loaded, and I'm sure it was coffee grounds. Every time it would start sticking open I would take it off and rinse water through backwards, and sure enough one or two grounds would come out in the wash. Using a finer grind would probably solve the problem though, I just ground it to how I use it in my coffee maker without really thinking of the consequences.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Get a fine mesh bag, grind the coffee coarse, and either add at end of boil or at fermenting time.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
Hoosier-Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When I made my coffee stout I added cold brewed coffee to the bottling bucket and I double filter that coffee. It turned out very good.

Quick Reply