Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > If things went to S#!x

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #21
Diaperload
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynoryan View Post
That sounds really interesting. Could you elaborate a bit more? I'd be interested in some of the ideas people came up with and what was the one that actually was drinkable made from.
OK, here's my recipe:

1lb powdered sugar
1 container Carnation Malted Milk
1 cup shredded wheat
2 cup grape nuts
4oz. flaked barley
1 cup corn meal

1 box Tamers Tea

1pkg Fleischman bread yeast

The Carnation Malted Milk was 1 or 2 pounds. I forget. The main ingredient is barley extract.

The Tamers Tea has hops in it. It's towards the bottom of the ingredients list. Other ingredients were lemongrass, lavender, and other stuff

I put the 2 cups of grape nuts on a cookie sheet and baked at 350° for an hour. I was hoping to get some color (didn't work as well as I thought...shoulda baked it longer).

I treated this batch like an extract batch. I steeped the corn meal, barley, baked grape nuts, and shredded wheat in 150° water for 30 min. Brought it to a boil and added the malted milk, powdered sugar, and Tamers Tea. Corn meal went right through my steeping bag.

The grocery store sold flaked barley in bulk so that was a no brainer.

The Tea made the beer taste like lemonade (sort of).

Everybody told me that bread yeast would only go to 3% or so but it took it to 5.5% which amazed me.

The winner (subjective) actually made a drinkable product that I might even classify as decent. He went to the feed store and bought chicken scratch. Then he germinated it. Then baked it it. Then he kinda cheated though by using actual hops (that he grew).

One of the entrants was that South American Chi Chi beer (the beer where you chew corn in your mouth and then spit it out).

"I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #22
rdneckbrew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice! That took some shopping and label reading to come up with that I bet.

Germinated chicken scratch? I would have thought that the processing of the feed would have made that impossible. Interesting.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #23
Chia
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I would have to say that i would make a liquid to barter with. it is as easy to produce and does not require any ingredients i cannot grow. i figure if i have a good rifle, reloading supplies, and this ability, they i can make it through a crisis.

Whitener Street Brewing Co.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #24
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaperload View Post
OK, here's my recipe:

1lb powdered sugar
1 container Carnation Malted Milk
1 cup shredded wheat
2 cup grape nuts
4oz. flaked barley
1 cup corn meal

1 box Tamers Tea

1pkg Fleischman bread yeast

The Carnation Malted Milk was 1 or 2 pounds. I forget. The main ingredient is barley extract.

The Tamers Tea has hops in it. It's towards the bottom of the ingredients list. Other ingredients were lemongrass, lavender, and other stuff

I put the 2 cups of grape nuts on a cookie sheet and baked at 350° for an hour. I was hoping to get some color (didn't work as well as I thought...shoulda baked it longer).

I treated this batch like an extract batch. I steeped the corn meal, barley, baked grape nuts, and shredded wheat in 150° water for 30 min. Brought it to a boil and added the malted milk, powdered sugar, and Tamers Tea. Corn meal went right through my steeping bag.

The grocery store sold flaked barley in bulk so that was a no brainer.

The Tea made the beer taste like lemonade (sort of).

Everybody told me that bread yeast would only go to 3% or so but it took it to 5.5% which amazed me.

The winner (subjective) actually made a drinkable product that I might even classify as decent. He went to the feed store and bought chicken scratch. Then he germinated it. Then baked it it. Then he kinda cheated though by using actual hops (that he grew).

One of the entrants was that South American Chi Chi beer (the beer where you chew corn in your mouth and then spit it out).
I'm lazy enough I probably would have bought a bunch of Malta Goya and a pack of bread yeast.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
bobeer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

This is an interesting conversation. IF SHTF I'd definitely want to make beer to trade with people for other things. If water was an issue i'd try to "make" my own. I remember in science class in middle school there was a movie we watched (I think it was voyage of the mimi) where people were stranded on an island and they needed water. What they ended up doing is making a structure out of plastic and let the sun cause condensation and then they drained it into buckets or whatever other receptacle they had. It might take you a while to get up to 5 gallons but once you had the setup down I don't think it would be that bad to upkeep. Getting the malt ingredients would be a challenge though. Here in VA we have juniper everywhere so I'd use that for my bittering. You really only need to boil it for about 10-15 minutes to get the bitterness out of it. I do think it would be difficult to make beer in a situation like this but it would be a good way to keep your mind working and keep hope in looking forward to having a tasty brew in a disaster type situation.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me, because I'd like to hear it again."
-Groucho Marx

I'm couch surfing in the middle of moving. Will brew soon!
Keg 1: Empty
Keg 2: Empty
Bottled: Bourbon Oak Brolic Strong ale
Primary: Empty
On Deck: Ava ale, Red Ryes ale, Priceless Pup Brown,

Old 07-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #26
Shakybones
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Juniper. Reminds me of Siletz Spruce Tip Ale. Good stuff.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:57 PM   #27
technicoloraudio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I hear a lot of bread talk, flour this, flour that...

Spent grain bread?

Old 07-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #28
rdneckbrew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I have yet to do it but it seems these grains can be dual purpose. You could make beer then bread, biscuits, or just flour.

I just wonder how much of the vitamins and minerals are removed during the mashing process.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #29
Grossy
Grossy Proudfoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have thought about this as well, but not from an ingredient point of view, but from an equipment point of view.

Take all your equipment away, can you still make beer.

What would you need:

Pots: Kiln fired glazed pots.
Hydrometer: Something that floats, mark off through trial and error where you get good results.

Thermometer: Ok here is the tough one, how to make a device that tells me I have hit 152 degrees.

"That was proper 1420, that was."
- Old Gaffer at the Bywater Inn

Old 07-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #30
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grossy View Post
I have thought about this as well, but not from an ingredient point of view, but from an equipment point of view.

Take all your equipment away, can you still make beer.

What would you need:

Pots: Kiln fired glazed pots.
Hydrometer: Something that floats, mark off through trial and error where you get good results.

Thermometer: Ok here is the tough one, how to make a device that tells me I have hit 152 degrees.
Centuries before the thermometer, hydrometer or even sanitary procedures people made beer. So do you really need any of those items to make beer? No, does it make the same beer you know today? No but it is still beer and over time without those items you will perfect your process just the same.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Quick Reply