Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > If things went to S#!x

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
rdneckbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default If things went to S#!x

So after seeing a couple of these "Prepper" shows I was wondering....if things went to hell would you have the grains and such to keep you in beer for awhile? Is there some other non traditional ingredients or methods you would use to brew?

Also, has anyone tried making a beer without all the modern conveniences?

I myself would be screwed as I have nothing in stock. Right now I just buy what I need for the most current brew.

Lets hear your ideas!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

I'm into sours and wild yeasts. I'd open ferment any sugar source I could get my hands on.

www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Diaperload
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My club did a grocery store contest a few months ago. You could only buy ingredients from the local super market.

Everyone was super excited for this contest and most participated. I would like to say the results were great....but they weren't. Only 1 person made something that was drinkable. The rest of us ended up with swill.

"I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

Old 07-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 788 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 274

I'd be more worried about food sources than beer. It's been said that most cities are 2 weeks from starvation if the transportation system broke down and no more food could be delivered. With that said, I live on a grain farm and if I could get my hands on some seed barley (easily done now) I could brew for years. Hops would be the biggest problem for me but there are some growing wild on my place that I could cultivate to produce much more than they do at present.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Food would be the first thing I would worry about. Once I had that down( not hard I almost already do) I would move on to wines and Meads. Beer would be gone simply because my grain that I would be growing would be saved for bread and you know stuff that actually keeps me alive and not something I really don't have to have.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal), Schepen
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk, Dog Days Saison
Up coming beers:
broadbill Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
rynoryan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaperload
My club did a grocery store contest a few months ago. You could only buy ingredients from the local super market.

Everyone was super excited for this contest and most participated. I would like to say the results were great....but they weren't. Only 1 person made something that was drinkable. The rest of us ended up with swill.
That sounds really interesting. Could you elaborate a bit more? I'd be interested in some of the ideas people came up with and what was the one that actually was drinkable made from.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Shakybones
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb82 View Post
my grain that I would be growing would be saved for bread and you know stuff that actually keeps me alive and not something I really don't have to have.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I agree with the above posts....if that scenario occurred; you probably would be making flour with that barley for food instead of mashing is to make beer.

Luxuries like alcohol are a mark that a civilization has sorted itself out a bit.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 144

I'd be making beer with some of my grains. It would give me safe drinking water. It would provide a lot of good calories. I'd have something good to trade for other stuff I don't have. Most importantly it would make fighting off hoards of renegade bikers (see Mad Max) much more palatable.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb82 View Post
Food would be the first thing I would worry about. Once I had that down( not hard I almost already do) I would move on to wines and Meads. Beer would be gone simply because my grain that I would be growing would be saved for bread and you know stuff that actually keeps me alive and not something I really don't have to have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I agree with the above posts....if that scenario occurred; you probably would be making flour with that barley for food instead of mashing is to make beer.

Luxuries like alcohol are a mark that a civilization has sorted itself out a bit.
But beer and wine are NOT luxuaries in an area where water is bad to drink. If the SHTF, then not only is food scarce, but so is water. (and heating sources). Most of us live off a pumped water system, and thus would be in serious trouble to find clean water.

Yeast in beer and in bread do a bit of B vitamin generation that doesn't happen in the grain. The advantage of beer or wine over bread is that you don't heat it post yeast and destroy any of the low temp nutrients that get created. There is a reason why monks in the middle ages lived off beer, particularly in the winter.

That said, recycling the grain for secondary use (bread, animals, etc) would be a necessity.

to the OP's original question? I'd be in deep trouble. I have no reserves of food, grains, or fruit for making anything.

Quick Reply