Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Identity Theft Notices From Midwest Supplies and MonsterBrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
grimstuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Identity Theft Notices From Midwest Supplies and MonsterBrew

In the past two months I've received two potential identity theft notices from both Midwest Supplies and MonsterBrew. Both of the letters talk about the credit card info I used with them in the past possibly being "compromised." Unfortunately, a couple weeks ago, someone made a fraudulent charge with my card number on Walmart.com for about $200. I got it straightened out with my credit card company, was issued a new card, and now I check my accounts every single day to make sure there aren't any fraudulent charges. Inconvenience? Yes. Also worrying that two different homebrew retailers have got their systems broken into in the space of a couple months? Yes. So I just wanted to pass this on and remind you all to be careful about your online purchases.

Here's a funny side story: So Midwest does a solid and gives me a $25 coupon code for the inconvenience of identity theft and "undermining my trust." I'm still pretty upset about my card info being stolen, so I think, wow that's cool. Thank you, Midwest President David Kidd. Monsterbrew didn't do that. I'm getting low on hops, so I go online to buy some. 1 lb of EKG, 1 lb of Styrian Goldings, and 1 lb of Czech Saaz = $91.72. With the "Identity Theft Discount" = $66.72. Grand total with Midwest's "Over a Barrel Shipping" = $79.62 for 3 lbs of hops, but the same hops shipped from Nikobrew is only $43.15. That's a difference of over $36, AFTER the Identity Theft Discount! I'm still trying to figure out how to use the coupon on something I need from Mr. Kidd and actually come out ahead...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
TheSmithsEra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 23

That coupon is a joke, it just gets you to do more business with them. This has been one ugly situation for all those involved, i'm also a bit worried now about what you've mentioned of homebrew online retailers thats made me consider giving my lhbs bad customer service another shot.

Violence … is the last refuge of the incompetent

Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2008 Times on 1759 Posts
Likes Given: 1486

Yeah,this one's been pretty well beaten to death in the other thread about this. Monster brew is a new one though. And once again,I'll say it again...I use paypal on any sight that has it as an option. You have more protection & more legal recourse when you use paypal. Although I do check my account virtually every day just the same.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Chuggerpumps had a security breach within the last month as well. I received an email notice from them.

Whatever group is behind these breaches must really like homebrew

Old 09-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

...or realized we're a vast,untapped market for their evil doin's...

Old 09-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I bought a ferm wrap with my $25 "We're so Sorry" coupon. I think it was $29.99, but I found a coupon code online. In the end I just ended up paying shipping costs. About $7, I think?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
You have more protection & more legal recourse when you use paypal.
The protection I can argue either way, but the legal recourse... I couldn't disagree more. Paypal can seize your account balance (if you keep one with them) because they aren't a bank. In that case, you have zero legal recourse. They have done this to thousands and thousands of people over the years.

I would be surprised if a single person who had fraudulent charges on their card didn't have those charges removed, or was out of pocket one dime.

I do occasionally use paypal, but I don't kid myself. Unless you lock yourself in the house, disconnect the internet, phones, TV, electricity, etc. you are exposing yourself somehow.

Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

Old 09-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

I never keep a balance on there for obvious reasons. Otherwise,while the rest of you are getting jacked,I haven't had a problem. My problem,a couple times came from getting low-jacked through local stores that take too damn long to turn in my pmnt info for their money.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
jtd_419
best brewer ( in my house)
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 58 Posts

Two weeks ago swmbo noticed some charges on her card, today she received a letter from monster brew saying her card information may have been stolen. A little bit late don't ya think, but I guess I know where she ordered my bday present from

Old 10-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #10
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd_419 View Post
Two weeks ago swmbo noticed some charges on her card, today she received a letter from monster brew saying her card information may have been stolen. A little bit late don't ya think, but I guess I know where she ordered my bday present from
Then it's all good (VISA has her protected )

Quick Reply