Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ideal temperatures?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
DocBrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ideal temperatures?

Hey guys,
I recently got my fermerator going in my garage (see my thread over in the DIY forums if you want to see pictures), and it seems to be working well. One question I had was what the ideal temperature setting is. I initially set it to keep the fridge between 65 and 68. However, my garage gets up over 100F, and the compressor was cycling on far too often. I changed the range to 64-69, and that seems to be easier on the compressor. Is that generally a pretty good range for the beer? It's certainly got to be better than my brew closet that ranged from 68-75.
Actually, two related questions: First, is this a good temperature for starters? I thought I saw a recommendation somewhere that starters sit at higher temperatures (~75F?). Second, how cold do you typically keep your kegerator/keezer? I was originally thinking about putting kegs in the freezer portion of my fermerator. Right now it looks like the temperature there ranges from 23-40 or so. I have some ideas on how to bump that up a bit, but I was wondering what a good target it.

Thanks,
JB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
Arkador
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

For most ales, 65-70 is a pretty good temprature. I don't have a fermentation chamber, so tend to go for recipes that are better suited to the nearly 75degrees in the house, and use alot of California Ale Yeast in the summertime.

My keezer is in my 100degree garage at 38-40degrees and does not run too often. If it is in a hot garage, put your empty kegs in there filled with water, it will help maintain tempratures better for you and run the compressor less. I don't have a colar, just Picnic taps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply