Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Idea for a LHBS / BBQ shop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

That is awesome! I love the pig drinking beer.

How's the greek/frat life in your town? Are there any bbq competitions? Being able to supply plans for a 55gallon smokers to fraternities and a such, along with hosting a competition could bring a lot of attention to your endeavor.

Don't forget to stock up on 1 gallon kits for the kids brewing in the dormitories. Bonus points if you can come up with a kit that can be made in the microwave. Maybe you need to sell apfelwine kits too.

Seriously, sounds like there are lots of opportunities there. It's definitely a shop that I would check out if it were local to me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
lex990
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you read my mind on the uds plans

i actually thought about offering a bbq 101 class and part of the class would be building their own uds

Honey... I'm just going out for a like an hour. We are only going to drink one or two and head home... I promise ;).

Old 12-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #13
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex990 View Post
you read my mind on the uds plans

i actually thought about offering a bbq 101 class and part of the class would be building their own uds
Just keep it realistic. You aren't going to sell a lot to college kids. They don't have a lot. However, they are open to trying new things, they are curious, can be whipped up into a little bit of competitive spirit, especially for a good cause or a bit of recognition. And they can say good things about you and drive business towards you. Frat houses should have a smoker. No doubt. Weekends when the weather is nice? Why the hell isn't some pledge out there smoking a damned brisket?

You spend an hour teaching 5 college kids how to smoke meat. Maybe you'll sell them each a couple cords of wood for smoking meat. No big profit there, but it justifies your time. But maybe that one guy who's interested in brewing beer buys a starter kit. And then word gets out and another guys gets a starter kit. And then you sell a couple of extract kits. A bench capper. A few vials of yeast. Maybe you make good with a local butcher, they give the kids a 5% discount and you a 5% kickback for referring the kids to their place to buy their meat and showing a club card and it starts to add up.

Then the locals and townies start realizing that this is a ticket to good food and beer... and you start getting the hobbyists drawn in. But then.. how do you keep them buying local, not running off to the internet to save a few bucks?

Well, IMHO that comes down to offering good prices on bulk goods. You have a shipping advantage and you leverage it by supplying sacks of grain and 200lb smokers at a reasonable price with no shipping cost. That keeps the people off the internet and in your showroom or on your sales floor.

And of course, you're smoking a brisket on the weekend and offering samples.. preferably over at the football stadium or something, rather than just in front of your store. Is there tailgating going on? Man.. you start getting the alumni interested, then you have 30-60 YEARS worth of college students that can come knocking at your door.

Have some way of receiving and providing a full pig too. Or a side of beef and such. Either you have the capacity to take such a drop off, or you make arrangements at the butcher shop so that you get a cut of the sale when somebody orders a full pig or a half of a cow... Now, you're making money from products you don't even have to stock! And it should be good for a butcher shop as well to start getting those people in there to pick stuff up.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:38 AM   #14
granpooba19
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with Sir Humpsalot. I think college kids would love the idea of brewing, but when they find out it isn't worth it to brew a BMC, they'll lose interest. I'm not saying all college kids are like that (I'm only out a few years), but a good amount probably wouldn't have the interest/money in brewing what we would consider good beer.

I think the BBQ aspect would be great for a college town though. The college kids probably wouldn't be the best market for a LHBS, but the two combined still sounds like a great idea.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #15
lex990
Recipes 

yeah i don't look for college kids to be a large part of my business, but you have great ideas as we do have a couple great butcher shops around, thank you for your input, gave me more ideas to stew on. if i can make the business net 30k a year after a year, then i will be happy

Honey... I'm just going out for a like an hour. We are only going to drink one or two and head home... I promise ;).

Old 12-09-2012, 02:24 AM   #16
Harvestsmiles
Recipes 

Likes Given: 27

Sounds like a cool combination. I built an electric smoker that is 2x2x4 (foot) with 5 racks so I can do a bunch of smokin in one day. (did a 20# turkey, 10# pork shoulder, whole tilapias, and a slab of salmon for Thanksgiving) I'm all for the Brew and Que!

[COLOR="Navy"]Happy Brewing :)

Old 12-09-2012, 03:04 AM   #17
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

another angle to make a buck:

Whenever there is a festival or something where food is being sold, even if you aren't putting up your tent and selling food, other businesses are. Combine forces. Take the restaurant who knows how to sell food and has the manpower, see if you can piggy back along...

I'll be there for the weekend, help you cook, let's sell something BBQ-like and put my company's name on it. We're not even in competing industries. You're a restaurant, I'm a BBQ store. So you offer "my" barbecue. I get the free press, but it's all for your restaurant because I'm not selling food.

And if you just do that for the free press and pitch in for the weekend, I'd bet a small restaurant would consider that to be a huge benefit to them... and you'd easily come out money ahead as well.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #18
mforsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I had been interested in homebrewing since I was 16, and then at 20 I tasted a buddies homebrew (at a college) and after that I was sold. 3 years later and I'm brewing 15 gallons a month…

You have a great market and a great idea. Run with it!

Homebrew Site: forsmanbrewing.com

Old 12-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #19
lex990
Recipes 

right now i have made a list of all the wholesale brewing supply companies and am waiting to hear back from a few of the ceramic grill places. Everyone has chargrillers and webers, no where here carries any of the higher end ceramic grills like primo or bge. I also would have a few uds smokers on hand at all times. I am going to go location shopping tomorrow to see if i can find something in my price range in a decent area. I am getting pretty pumped about this. Much more than when we owned our car lots or furniture stores. Finally maybe I can run a store that I like instead of what my dad wants.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

I'm excited for you man. I don't know how how this works out everywhere but at my lhbs they are frequently pouring home brew tastes to the customers. Always nice to see that

Quick Reply