Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ibu open

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Default Ibu open

One score is up. My Dort that got a 39.5 at drunk monk scored a 29? What the heck?

BL, CL, Miller etc. is like makin love in a canoe.....
its fkin close to water.
Lagering/conditioning: German pils, Dortmunder
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Well that's still in the "good" range and nearly in the "very good" range. It just goes to show no matter how objective we try to make it, judging beer is subjective. Did they mention any perceived flaws? Novice vs. experienced judges?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No it's an online score. I've never scored below a 30.5 in a comp. that was with another beer. I'm a bit upset, This was the best lager I have ever made.....and should have done better at drunk monk as they added one scoresheet wrong. There are three other beers in the comp I entered if they are all low ill know they froze in transit or something.

its fkin close to water.
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Wheat 1,Wheat 2

Old 03-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Kolsch a respectable 34. No place higher than drunk monk. Feeling better. Next up amber ale...might not be hoppy enough. Imperial ipa...might be too hoppy..lol.

its fkin close to water.
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Wheat 1,Wheat 2

Old 03-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

American amber 41 . No place....I thought it was the worst.

its fkin close to water.
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Wheat 1,Wheat 2

Old 03-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've been finding that judging at these things is kind of awkward. Don't get me started on the BOSS competition either, looks like more than half of the awards went to BOSS members. I had an IPA that won BOS at Mississippi Mashout, and hasn't even come close to placing at other competitions.

Next I have a Smoked Porter that people seem to either love or hate. At to competitions it received a 22 and 25. Two others it received 3rd and 2nd place with scores of 37 and 39...so meh. I did Drunk Monk and IBU Open as well.

All in all, I couldn't care less at this point. I just wanted the advice so I can improve.

Cold Smoking Hops Guide

Old 03-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
roxbob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

There are so many factors that can affect a particular score, that I think you just have to focus on whether the feedback is useful rather than the number. Different judges also have different standards for assigning numerical scores - one judge's 40 can be another's 30. What's important is that the judges are consistent. A great beer should make the mini BOS regardless of whether it's number is closer to 30 or 40, and after that point, the numerical score doesn't matter.

Reinstone, a Dort won first in light lager, was that yours?

I entered two in this one - 37 for Cream ale (no place) and 34 for RyePA (3rd in specialty). Never placed in cat. 23 before, so that was a bit of a surprise.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

sounds about right. i guess im kinda over the competition. its fun to a point, but its also discouraging sometimes, in my opinion, its a little subjective. however braufessors dort has beat me twice, and both times he has placed first....so there is some legitamcy to these competitions. i will see how the feedback comes in and ill have to make a decision on whether to brew or for competition, or brew for me. when all is said and done.....i believe that in comps you cant try anything new....you have to limit your "artistic" side of brewing. i made a beer that i loved on principals similar to lagunitas brewing practices and i got a wonderful rye ipa. the judges said it was too sweet.....however...the gravity was 1.078...final og 1.010, too sweet....no perception is altered because of a beer that is high in caremel malts melded with a really low mash temp to get it fermented to the right fg. again though.....this is a new concept and every judge has a guideline. when all is said and done i will choose....as a consumer I will buy a beer that is different....run of the mill beers are a dime a dozen, although they conform perfectly to style, the offer no more than bud light offers to American light lager. Cheers. I also think that your less progressive styles like German lagers should have tighter standardsw.....on our American ingenuity beers...lets be lax. No one in their right mind can say dortmunder gold is a good Dort, it's a good beer.....it's not a dortmunder.....it reminds me of a verse in radical brewing that helps me when I feel like hanging it up. Something like brew like and artist with your senses and whims, great beers are not engineered...my personal satisfaction lies in thinking. as i remember and remind myself.....this beer I made is great, and I am the only one in the world drinking this....only me it's my bastard child, perfection is is for a lack of a better word.....subjective, if not boring. Cheers. =sidepart;5038877]I've been finding that judging at these things is kind of awkward. Don't get me started on the BOSS competition either, looks like more than half of the awards went to BOSS members. I had an IPA that won BOS at Mississippi Mashout, and hasn't even come close to placing at other competitions.

Next I have a Smoked Porter that people seem to either love or hate. At to competitions it received a 22 and 25. Two others it received 3rd and 2nd place with scores of 37 and 39...so meh. I did Drunk Monk and IBU Open as well.

All in all, I couldn't care less at this point. I just wanted the advice so I can improve.[/QUOTE]

its fkin close to water.
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Wheat 1,Wheat 2

Old 03-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxbob View Post
There are so many factors that can affect a particular score, that I think you just have to focus on whether the feedback is useful rather than the number. Different judges also have different standards for assigning numerical scores - one judge's 40 can be another's 30. What's important is that the judges are consistent. A great beer should make the mini BOS regardless of whether it's number is closer to 30 or 40, and after that point, the numerical score doesn't matter.

Reinstone, a Dort won first in light lager, was that yours?

I entered two in this one - 37 for Cream ale (no place) and 34 for RyePA (3rd in specialty). Never placed in cat. 23 before, so that was a bit of a surprise.
. No my Dort got a 29' another guy on here was the winner. My Dort got a 39.5 from some pretty esteemed judges at drunk monk. My scores were 29 for the Dort, 31 for my imperial ipa....too young, 34 for kolsch and 41 for amber ale....my absolute blandest beer. No places

I literally have 120 bottles of this amber and I don't like it. Anyone want a sample?

its fkin close to water.
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Wheat 1,Wheat 2

Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I know how you feel. I entered 3. My favorite, a Breakfast Stout, scored a 23. While an American Cream Ale I didn't think would do that well scored a 40. Who knows. On the bright side, second place in cat 23 is pretty cool. I just thought it would be the Breakfast Stout placing. I think I'm disappointed because the one that I subjectively liked so much was not received and accepted in the same way by other people.

Dried Apricot Cider Ale
Indeed "Burr Grinder" Clone
Breakfast in Beer
Pumpkin Latte
Heady the Elder
Primary:

(1) Therman Merman (IPA)

Secondary:
(1) Drunken Donut aging on Sugar Whiskey Staves, vanilla beans, knob creek, and disarrono.

Quick Reply