*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I went "pro" - What it actually takes to do so

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #141
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing

Donchooworryboutit.
I wanted to ask this question too! I only do 10 gal at a time, but unexpectedly had two weeks off and brewed up just shy of 100 gal. I tried to coordinate with local farmers to pick up grains.
Each day I'd have 20-25 lbs dry weight wet grain to get rid of. One guy came to pick it up and never came back the other agreed upon days. I think he was expecting way more grain. In the two weeks I had over 200 lbs of spent grains that went to the curb and garbage truck. Felt depressed that I couldn't be ecologically responsible?

Great thread BTW. I am not gonna quit my day job anytime soon, but got to respect the passion and guts to go for glory doing something that you love.

TD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #142
brewmcq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 2650

Amazing post, and I friggin LOVE your website design..

A few things..

I cannot wait for my next trip to MA.. I'm going to track you down (or, at least, your beer).. better yet, a brewery tour.. ;-)

My partner and I are working towards doing a nano with a tasting room.. 5-year plan, so this is a great read.

Oh.. re: website: get your Twitter, Facebook and G+ displayed on the header somewhere so we, your new visitors, can quickly access them... I just happened to stumble across the links for them in your blog.

Keep up the great work!! As a born, bred and dyed-in-the-wool New Englander, I do grow weary of hearing about mini-, micro-, nano-brew explosion in the Pacific Northwest. No offense to them, but the Atlantic Northeast is pretty friggin cool too.

Cheers!

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.
plainbrad Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #143
Komocabo
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yah, I want to go this route too, but I live in Eugene Oregon and it is just saturated with breweries around here... I still plan to.give it a shot in the next few years, but it will be hard to make a name for myself, especially starting out.

Great thread! This was some great insight

And on the eighth day he said "Make beer!"

Old 03-23-2013, 01:49 AM   #144
KVANTAN
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
Congrats! Yeah the paperwork and bureaucracy is a major deterrent for me, not to mention paying rent on a property for months without being able to operate. Good luck!
Complying with all this senselessness is as bad as endorsing it. Unfortunately this is the same story in EVERY industry in the USA. It's just as hard to open a bank as a bakery. In fact I could open an investment bank for less than a bakery. Where are all the Rosa Parks?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #145
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 277 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Are your followers in this thread really comparing you to Rosa Parks, Brian?

Seriously?

That's right, Cape! Refuse to go to the back of the brewery bus! Stand up to the man! Screw Jim Koch, Adolphus Busch and Vinny! You're there, you brew beer!

Lets everyone join hands and sing Kumbaya!

Want to win the coolest trophy in Homebrewing? Come to Masstoberfest. September 27, 2014

Follow my Wood Fired Oven Build Thread here

Trippel-A Likes This 
Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #146
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 277 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I had to go away for a bit just to try to get my head around this. Couldn't quite do it.

Brian S being mentioned in the same conversation as Rosa Parks! Even for this thread that brings ball washing to a new low.

Want to win the coolest trophy in Homebrewing? Come to Masstoberfest. September 27, 2014

Follow my Wood Fired Oven Build Thread here

Old 03-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #147
mendesm

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Wow, I missed this thread. Congratulations!!!!

Can I get in touch with you and take a few minutes of your time?

I'm about to start the TTB paperwork for a nano too.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #148
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmcq View Post
Amazing post, and I friggin LOVE your website design..

A few things..

I cannot wait for my next trip to MA.. I'm going to track you down (or, at least, your beer).. better yet, a brewery tour.. ;-)

My partner and I are working towards doing a nano with a tasting room.. 5-year plan, so this is a great read.

Oh.. re: website: get your Twitter, Facebook and G+ displayed on the header somewhere so we, your new visitors, can quickly access them... I just happened to stumble across the links for them in your blog.

Keep up the great work!! As a born, bred and dyed-in-the-wool New Englander, I do grow weary of hearing about mini-, micro-, nano-brew explosion in the Pacific Northwest. No offense to them, but the Atlantic Northeast is pretty friggin cool too.

Cheers!
God, it's awful here, 52 breweries in Portland, Oregon and 69 in the metro area. Horrible.
http://oregonbeer.org/facts/
Get the NE working on the same thing, will you?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #149
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 407 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Just as a quick update... things seem to be going pretty well (knock on wood). We have been officially opened for about 3 months and have sold, by our standards, a lotta beer. At this point, all of our beer sales have basically been unsolicited. We approached two places (really just one and the other suggested it) about having release parties and the beer has flown out of the brewery from there. One release party location has put us in the permanant rotation while the other has given us two whole taps. All of the other beer we've sold (a couple special events, supplying the rotational and permanent taps, and now possible more accounts) has all been bars/people basically coming to us, which is pretty cool.

Everyone we talk to brings up expansion and we're really trying to fight that urge. We're focused right now on slowly growing and managing the brewery as an actual business... steadily growing sales (although we're basically at capacity now), controlling expenses to ensure profitability on a monthly basis, trying to maintain what feels like a good reputation so far...

so... so far so good.

mendesm... if you want to swing through the brewery some time, I'll answer any questions I can. We constantly update our Facebook and Twitter pages on when we're brewing and it is pretty rare that we aren't brewing on a Saturday morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #150
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 407 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmcq View Post

Cheers!
Absolutely! Stop in whenever. you might wanna PM me and make sure we are going tobe there but yeah, stop in!

I can give you the VIP tour... "turn your head to your right... see those pots two feet in front of you? That's the rig. turn your head to the left. see those tanks three feet in front of you? Those are the fermenters. This concludes our tour. That'll be $9."

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Quick Reply