Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I went "pro" - What it actually takes to do so

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #91
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
It was. We were really psyched and flattered with how it went. We went through another dozen kegs really quickly. It was pretty cool.

We're now OUT of beer. The two release parties sold out of everything we had made.
Brew more beer!

Congrats!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #92
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Good luck with everything. How about throwing a 'brew with the brewery' tour and getting hbt people working for you brewing some beer up. Free labor!

If a brewery near here wanted help brewing their beer, I would love to help them as the knowledge gained would be payment enough!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #93
Old-Ned
Stew Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
...wasting money on conicals (must.... not... rant... about how... dumb... conicals are)
If you don't mind me asking, why do you hate conicals? And if/when you upgrade would you be opposed to using these wine tanks on a larger scale?

Thanks for posting all of this, and Congrats! I can't wait to make it back up to the New England area, and hopefully, I'll be able to find a pint.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #94
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 245 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Ned View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why do you hate conicals? And if/when you upgrade would you be opposed to using these wine tanks on a larger scale?

Thanks for posting all of this, and Congrats! I can't wait to make it back up to the New England area, and hopefully, I'll be able to find a pint.
Also are you havesting yeast? AFAIK that is the real reason for using conicals.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #95
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 303 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I missed this thread Cape...congrats on the venture and what sounds like a good launch. Don't enjoy the poster child industry for over regulation too much .

Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #96
UnDeadPresident
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Thanks for the post Cape, and congrats on moving toward living the dream. I knew going through all paperwork would take a while but I didn't realize it would take that long. Hopefully (and I doubt I'm alone in this feeling) I'll be following suit soon enough.

Any advice on what to do on the amateur side to prep for making the jump to pro? How many recipes had you gotten to the point that you felt they were commercially viable, and about how many attempts did it take to get them there?

Rye IPA, Citra Pale Ale, ESB, CO Pale/Simcoe SMaSH

"Give me a woman who truly loves beer, and I will conquer the world."
- Wilhelm II of Germany

Old 02-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #97
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 401 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I'm not going launch into my usual lunatic rant about conicals. I have done that too many times.

But...

My own personal view is that unless you are fermenting well north of 100 gallons at a whack, conicals provide zero tangible benefit ither than bling factor... and ... Hey... I got NUTHIN against bling factor as long as it was bought for bling.

We have 52.5 gallon stainless fermenters that we got for less than $400 a pop. It would have cost us four times that to go with conicals. And the only benefit we would get is that we wouldnt have to rack off yeast cakes.... Which takes about four minutes of work. I will work the four minutes to save a couple grand.

Yes, we are harvesting yeast. Instead of turning a racking arm... we simply tilt the fermenter a little bit and pour it out the bottom spigot. Not exactly difficult and certainly not worth thousands of dollars to avoid having to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #98
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

On recipes development.... There really isnt a single answer here.

One recipe we make (our Black Steam) was ONE shot. I tried altering a Cali Common about two years ago and bam, first shot. We have tried a couole very slightly modified recipes just to see... and the first recipe beat em all and thats the recipe we use at the brewery.

For our "Burley Blonde", we did... I dunno... Maybe five or six test batches before we hit the recipe we really liked and the one we use today.

The IPA? Sht.... That was probably 35 test batches between the three of us. That was a constant tweaking right up until the firat batch to come out of the brewery.

One luxury we have is that we didn't have to do any material scaling since our brewery is so small. Scaling a ten gallon recipe up to 7 bbls isnt as straight forward as just multiplying everything up. But we havent needed to worry about that. We can just run with our "homebrew" recipes.

Quote:
UnDeadPresident Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #99
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Sorry... Forgot about the prepping question.

Uhhhh. I dunno. All I can think of is to find a nano (assuming you are going that size)... or better yet, a couple of nanos, and beg em to let you come in and help for a month or two.

You would be a little shocked at all of the tiny thing you're going to have to do a little differently and getting ideas on how to set things up will make a huge difference.

Simple example... One of my partners built this really nice platform for our fermenters. Problem is they dont all fit exactly side by side. Meh...No biggie. Wrong. Its a huge pain in the azz. We're gonna take it down and build individual stands on insanely heavy duty casters so we can move the full fermenters around.

Its that sort of little stuff that you'll never think about until you see it working in a little brewery.

Quote:
UnDeadPresident Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #100
Indytruks138
2 Punks Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 614

Just read the whole blog, good read, thanks for all the info. My pipe dream of opening a full scale micro-brewery is starting to morph more into a nano-brewery dream, and your information is super helpful. Good luck and cheers!

Quick Reply