Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I want to make an Imperial IPA - just not hoppy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
jamesnsw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default I want to make an Imperial IPA - just not hoppy

A lot of my friends have had the same reaction when trying an IIPA- they love the maltiness for the first second, and then HATE it.

So I am contemplating making a beer similar to an IPA, but dialing back the hops quite a bit.

Are there styles that would fit this description? Or am I better off just taking an IIPA recipe, and cutting the hops in half?

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnsw View Post
A lot of my friends have had the same reaction when trying an IIPA- they love the maltiness for the first second, and then HATE it.

So I am contemplating making a beer similar to an IPA, but dialing back the hops quite a bit.

Are there styles that would fit this description? Or am I better off just taking an IIPA recipe, and cutting the hops in half?
IMO, that is the real mark of an IIPA. It's a very malty backbone, balanced with ample hops. I find IPA's much more hop foward than IIPAs. I think IIPAs are really balanced. I'm thinking that cutting the hops would make the beer way to malty, maybe even too sweet.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah maybe use an IIPA malt bill so its a high gravity ale, and just scale back the IBU/SG ratio. You could also maybe use english hops to give it more of a mild hop taste. Do they not like the citrus flavor or what is it they hate about it?

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 12-01-2010, 02:38 AM   #4
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

They don't like the bitterness- to them, it's a malty backbone with way too much hops- not really balanced. I agree that IPAs are more hop forward, but IIPAs are still pretty bitter.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale

Old 12-01-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

If they don't like the bitterness, keep in mind that with higher alcohol, the bitterness will be lessened, with the same amount of hops. I once made a rye IPA that was over 8% and around 80 IBU's. I'm not a huge bitter hophead, but I liked the way it turned out; could barely discern the bitterness. It was enough to get the job done.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:42 AM   #6
iparks81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Late addition hops will bring the bitterness down...cut back the 60 min hop additions and boost the 10, 5, 0 min additions.

I love Alcohol, its in my Blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
go rinse your mind out with soap for even THINKING about tossing a batch of beer.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #7
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts

...look into barley wines. Its basically a less hopped, less attenuated IIPA.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:24 AM   #8
bubbachunk
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Just keep forcing IPAs down their throats until they learn to love them like the rest of us

Old 12-01-2010, 03:39 AM   #9
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions- and I don't want to waste my good IPA on someone who winces :-).

One response I got to this was to make a Scottish Ale- I'm not terribly familiar with the style- what are your thoughts?

Old 12-01-2010, 04:13 AM   #10
atgunning
Recipes 

I just bottled a scotch Wee Heavy I brewed a couple of months ago. There is a total of 1 oz of hops in the entire 5 gallon batch. It's seriously malty, smells like vanilla toffee and caramel, and SWMBO just told me to make sure we always have some. Its around 9%, and is essentially diametrically opposite of an IIPA in terms of bitterness. The kit from Northern Brewer is the one I recommend to try it out.

Quick Reply