Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I tried a refractometer- not so hot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 04:46 AM   #21
NikolausXX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I use my hydrometer to read my wort runoffs, and its never shattered, have taken temp readings up to 150 degrees with it. Am I asking for trouble. This is the first ive heard of this. Usually they are 130-140 as the test jar cools rather quickly, or thief in my case. Not to diminish the refract. I just put the readings into beer recipators site to get the corrected values. I pour any test tube back into the boil pot, as boiling will kill any nasties. If I test a cooled ferminting, or fermented wort I just drink the sample, and think of it as part of the process.

Primary- Jamils Pale ale with crystal
Kegged- Apfelwein (almost gone)
Ageing- Joam Mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #22
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
You're right Bob, I am entitled to my opinion, which your distorted comparison and compilation of irrelevant characteristics doesn't change.
How is comparing the process irrelevant? You wrote, "neither does the job better than the other", which is patently incorrect. Thus I listed the processes involved in both instruments. Further, how is my comparison distorted? Them's the steps, at least as practiced in my brewhouse and recommended by every brewer worth the name.

Now that's just unnecessary. It's what's called an ad hominem attack. You can't refute my argument, so you call me names. Way to go, troll.

Slapping a smiley on rudeness that obvious wouldn't fool a child.

Quote:
You are, of course, entitled to your delusion.
You're obligated to prove me wrong, sir, before you pronounce me deluded. You've only made pronouncements and attacked me personally. I've placed thoughtful comments before the group. Show me how I'm deluded, and I'll be the first to applaud you. Unless and until that happens, you'll be dismissed as the saddest sort of troll.

Bye-bye!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Reason: edited to remove remarks re: personal attack

Old 10-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #23
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

billtzk,

Why such hostility thinly disguised by internet smileys? That's just not cool. But I'll leave it at that for the integrity of this thread.

As I stated earlier, I use both a refractometer and a hydrometer at different places in my brewery, and my experiences with both instruments echo those related by Bob. On brew days, the simplicity and efficiency of using my refractometer on each of my runnings was well worth the $30 I spent on the instrument. Filling a test jar with the runnings, waiting for it to cool and so forth makes using a hydrometer on brew days cumbersome and tedious. A refractometer just streamlines the process- a few seconds vs. tens of minutes.

Neither instrument is the silver bullet under all circumstances, but are valuable pieces of my kit just the same.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #24
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

I use my refractometer several times during brewday and just love it. I did fine for years before I got it, though. It's nice to have, but it is not necessary.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #25
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I love my refrac. it has made my brewday much easier and more accurate. If you are and extract brewer it is not worth it.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #26
Germey

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love the refractometer. I still do a hydrometer comparison for the OG and FG, but don't know how much longer I will do so. The Spreadsheet from morebeer and the calculator in BeerAlchemy have both been dead on so far.
The cases where they have not agreed have all been due to me not properly correcting for temperature in the hydro sample.

For the couple of people who mentioned reading the refractometer at temps over 100°F, make sure you are using the correct correction factor. One can be found here, or use this calculator.
I am not sure, but some of the corrections included on the sheet that came with the hydrometer may use the older formula that was only accurate over a narrower range.

Cheers.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #27
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
billtzk,

Why such hostility thinly disguised by internet smileys? That's just not cool. But I'll leave it at that for the integrity of this thread.
Read the post I responded to again, then ask that same question of Bob.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 10-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #28
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'll answer you just like I'd answer him: "What? What did I do?"

All I can imagine is you think I called you a name or something. If I did, I apologize. Just point out where I offended you, so I can steer clear of doing so in future.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 10-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #29
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1018 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Bill, I agree that EITHER tool is effective in the end goal of measuring gravity but I agree with Bob in the fact that the refractometer IS better. I don't read his response as a personal attack on you, just simply a well stated rebuttal with maybe a bit of smugness. However, I do read yours (even with the mod edit) as an aggressive response. That's how I see it.

FYI, I just bought a refractometer and can't wait to use it. I like recording a LOT of data during a brewday and chilling samples is a pain.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #30
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'm looking forward to using mine to monitor step mashes with my upcoming lagers. My plan is to do my steps not based on time, but based on conversion level. Just for example, do a protein rest until 5% conversion, and then the Sacch. until 90% and then up to 158-160 to get some limit dextrins to have the FG a bit higher - I don't want to brew Bud light. I'll probably do my first lager of the season by time, but I'll monitor the conversion to give me a guide for future brews.

On one lager last year I got sidetracked and mashed longer at 150 F than I wanted and by the time I wanted to go to 158, the mash was already fully converted so that step was moot. The FG on this beer was lower than what I wanted.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply