Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I tried a barleywine for the first time tonight.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
Beardedterror
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default I tried a barleywine for the first time tonight.

I wanted to get an idea of how it tastes before I decide to brew one and age it for a year. It was an Olde Suffolk English Ale.

A little piece of me went to heaven and then came back to earth and round-house kicked some orphans.

This will be my next batch, although I'm a little nervous about committing so many resources to something that might not be good.

After tasting this, I have to give it a go. It's my moral obligation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3729 Times on 2293 Posts
Likes Given: 3231

I made my first (and only) about 3 years ago. After a few weeks of fermenting, and a taste, I considered it an abysmal failure. It was horrible. I'm a "quick dumper", and it almost hit the grass. But I bottled it in some 22oz bottles that I didn't want anyway, no loss there.

2 years later, I pulled one of those bottles out and entered in a competition and won. 1st place.

Last week I drank one of them. Mmmm. Sublime.

See?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
wolverinebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

For my first BW I did only a 3 gal. batch (27 bottles) last New Years Eve. I have yet to try a one. I am waiting for maybe this New Years to give it a go and then maybe a couple every New Years after. I am hoping I won't be disappointed.

So I say do it!

Old 12-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
gestyr
Just an earthbound misfit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I just transferred my latest into secondary. I call the recipe "Cromulent Embiggenment". The sample I tasted from the hydrometer jar was awesome. I am going to let this settle in secondary for a couple weeks and then bottle and set it aside for a year as a Christmas Present to myself for 2012, assuming, of course, that the Mayan calendar is mistaken.

WWCD: What Would Chthulu Do?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Isn't Old Suffolk technically an old ale?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Brewed my first a few months ago. Tastes great. I took a clone recipe of Arrogant Bastard and boosted it, and changed the hops a little, adding some Centennial to the Chinook. 1.100 down to 1.010 (11.8% abv). Bottled 30 bottles as-is, plus 12 with added Burbon, 12 with added rum, and 12 with added Brandy, the ones with liquor being 13%. Seven gallons in all.

They have been 6 weeks in the bottle, and still need more time carbing (tried one last night). The only thing that is going to stop me drinking this too soon is that I'll get too drunk drinking it.

I have put a case of it away in the crawl space in the hopes that I will forget about it until at least next Christmas.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

My opinion on barleywines is try not to finish too high, and use an ass load of hops/yeast.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
TomRep
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a barleywine partygyle last December. Just started drinking some now and it would actually be a very nice quad IPA in my book!. I added a boat load of hops so the flavor would remain for it's hibernation. When I first tasted in in the primary after fermenting, it was so incredebly bitter it was unreal. I bet another year or two and it will be a very nice barleywine. However, it's tough to fight drinking it now being an IPA lover!
tom

Abandoned Logic Brewing

Old 12-17-2011, 05:51 AM   #9
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a 14% barleywine about 6 months ago (why? because I can). I went more English style on it and kept the hops restrained. I have no intention of even opening the first bottle until it's a year old.

Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog

Old 12-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
Lunchtime
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Our local brewery has a beer called Foggy Notion...It says it is a "Barley Wine Style Ale". Does this mean it isn't a true Barley Wine? I really like it and would like to make something like it. I just know I want to make a TRUE barley wine when I do.

Quick Reply