Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I think it's official, I've become a beer snob.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTDuffman View Post
You're not a beer snob, you're a beer enthusiast. A Beer Enthusiast cares about what they drink, a Beer Snob (I like to call them Beer Jerks) care about what other people drink. .
THIS!!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #22
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I don't really mind what my friends drink. I figure if they're going to be pounding down BMC lite offerings that's less of my good beer they're drinking. That being said, they've enjoyed my home brews so far and I like to think I've maybe opened some eyes up to some of the more flavorful offerings out there.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #23
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

I never put someone down for drinking keystone light, but when offered that or bud light, I will just say "no thanks".

No lecture, no explanation, no crapola passes my lips unless I sometime feel like it, which I never seem to.

Well made? Sure! Know what they are doing? Sure!

i just like flavor, and preferably good flavor.

Light and refreshing? Water.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #24
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
No, it sounds like you're just a beer geek/enthusiast like most of us on here. Like Homercidal said, a beersnob, or as I call them Brewdouches looks down on other folks for their enjoyment of certain beers that we don't particularly enjoy. They think they're dumb, or sheep or whatever, instead of folks who just like that kind of beer.

They also feel the need to evangelize; spread the word of "good beer" to the unenlightened masses. (In other words shove their superiority down the throats of folks who don't care...)

They give the rest of us a bad name.

It just sounds like you know what give you pleasure. Just as long as you realize that it's just beer. An no one's choices are any better or worse than anybody else's even if it is BMC. And that even BMC has a place in the pantheon of beer, then you're just a fan of beer, and not an a$$hat.

After working for years in a local liquor store I saw first hand how BMC distributors operated. They were insidious. I don't particularly look down on folks for their beverage of choice but I do tend to take issue with the business practices of the Big Three. They go out of their way to push small craft beers off the shelves when they can and honestly their advertising is lame.

That being said if someone hands me a bottle or can of BMC I can't with good conscience turn down a beer...

Old 05-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #25
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Good to see snobbish douchebaggery getting slapped around.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #26
PistolsAtDawn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7 View Post
After working for years in a local liquor store I saw first hand how BMC distributors operated. They were insidious. I don't particularly look down on folks for their beverage of choice but I do tend to take issue with the business practices of the Big Three. They go out of their way to push small craft beers off the shelves when they can and honestly their advertising is lame.

That being said if someone hands me a bottle or can of BMC I can't with good conscience turn down a beer...
THIS.

If I'm ever in the situation where a BMC is actually being placed in my hands, I won't turn it down or make a big deal. I've noticed that although I'm sipping on it like I would with any other brew, my attention is entirely elsewhere instead of the usual reverse situation.

I will usually just say "no thanks" if it's simply offered to me as an option. I may even go so far as to explain that I just don't feel like drinking (even if I'd drink something else).

Revvy is correct that evangelism seems to happen with a lot of newcomers to a hobby. Zealots aren't often too popular, are they? I try to never be one, though I'm human and I am particularly fond of the joke, "What do BMC and having sex in a canoe have in common?" You know the punch line.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #27
18thstatebrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

After trying my first craft beer( it only took one), I made the decision to never drink another beer (commercial swill) produced by one of the major beer companies. I completely disagree with their entire operation. From the way they treat smaller craft breweries, to how they have brainwashed the masses into thinking that "this is what beer is supposed to taste like". I refuse to give another cent to those corrupted corporate a$$holes who spent more money on advertisements than most craft breweries make combined.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #28
spearko520
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 210

i was thinking the other day and i don't know that there have been more than three weeks that have passed since i was 11 that i haven't been drunk. So i am probably an alcoholic. That being said- i enjoy every beer that i have ever tried (probably every thing i've ever consumed period), maybe not the first time, but eventually. Really when it comes down to it, i pretty much enjoy everything as much as i can, because that's how i am- BUT many of my friends aren't like that and, while it is totally inconceivable to me that someone would not want to experience every and any taste that can be appreciated, i am very careful never to push or make anyone feel awkward because of what they like. People explore at their own pace, and some never explore at all- they know what they like and that is that. Making someone feel like a dick because what they enjoy is different than what you enjoy is not a sin, but it's no way to turn someone on and no way to get a buddy to drink with you. I'm not sure what the fun in being superior is... seems to me it's lonely to rip on what people think, unless they like nickleback, then they are fair game...

"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik

Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #29
malevolent
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah I'd much rather spend $50 on delicious hand-crafted creations than $15 for a night of skunked natty light.

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: nothing :(
Long Aging: Flanders Red (to be bottled this summer)

Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #30
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 42 Posts

I must handle my evangelism properly. If my friends are out with me at a craft beer bar, they almost always ask for advice. But, I also don't put people down for what they drink while, simultaneously, expressing my enthusiasm for good beer. I will judge people at my local craft beer bar on Saturday for ordering a four dollar Miller light when most craft lagers are $2.50.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS