Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I think I'm burnt out on IPA's

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Morbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I think I'm burnt out on IPA's

Guys,

I have been in denial about this for a while. I seemed to have lost my crazy love and affinity for IBU's. I find myself drinking more stouts, reds and dare I say...wheat beers. I dunno whats wrong with me. I used to love hops and would even try to eat them raw...

Is my palate destroyed or just evolving? Before a hopped up brew is the first thing I would look for but now, I'm beginning to like something more subtle and delicate. I still drink an IPA or two but they are not my go-to beers anymore. I have tried to force myself to like Belgians but I just can't.

Oh well. flavor of the month I suppose. Has this happened to anyone else? do you find yourself switching beer styles often?

"May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
nepatsfan1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am the same way right now. Been drinking a lot of porters, stouts, and american wheat beers.....

Primary:
Secondary:
Kegged:Devils Fiddle IPA
Bottled:The Wookie (Barleywine)

Old 07-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
nothreat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You will be alright. I go through stages like that every year. Last year I went through a schwartz beer stage, a stout and porter, and even a kolsch. Right now I have a pale, an ipa and a porter kegged, and an ipa in secondary. Thats is what makes homebrewing fun! You can never stay bored - just switch styles.

Nothreat
Primary: None
Secondary: None
On Deck: Amarillo Wheat, Summit Rye, Basic Pale with Zythos hops, Chocolate PB Porter II
Kegged: Delta pale, Chinook Pale
Bottled: Coconut Porter, Chocolate PB Porter, American Stout, Honey Walnut Porter

Old 07-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
seanybubbles
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I had the same "problem". I drank IPA's exclusively until I got sick of them. I then went to stout's, pales and now I'm back to IPA's. I think it has something to do with the seasons....

Old 07-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

used to love IPA's still drink them but I have to be in the "mood" for one. I like more stouts, pale ales, ESBs and the like.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 415 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I think anyone that loves IPAs but are feeling burned out on all the hops might want to try an English IPA. It's like a bitter, but a bit hoppier. That could be the way to go while your taste buds recover.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
BogusOwnz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Give it some time you'll be buying up IPAs again soon. Just a phase your going through. Wouldn't be as fun if you only craved one style of beer now would it?

Old 07-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

Just about everyone I know who has been homebrewing for 4-5 years has moved on from IPAs. Had a Heart of the Valley meeting last year where the only IPA was my experimental gluten-free English -style. Not saying they don't make them any more, but it becomes an occasional thing, like making a Fresh Hop IPA at harvest time.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Man, I feel you on the Belgian part of your post too... I keep trying them, and I like them but can't say I love them.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I go through phases too... you'll be back to IPAs in a little while. I usually switch to brown ales, milds, Wheats, and ESB's... get my malt fix in. Move on to porters and stouts, back to Pale ales, and before ya know it... back to IPAs. I have been able to get 2 hearted locally on tap.... mmmmm... I'll keep getting this as long as I can get it on tap!

I did just come up with more English style IPA, not as crazy hopped as American IPA's (around 55 IBUS)... been a while since I brewed an IPA. this fall, I'm also planning a Black Imperial IPA with IBUs at around 100... Super Hoppy!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Quick Reply