The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I think I finally have this down pat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
zacster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default I think I finally have this down pat

I made a batch a few weeks ago, the first one since last winter, and realized I never referred to any instructions except to the recipe itself. I didn't post, ask questions, look at the usual web sites or open a book. I just brewed. I also didn't make any mistakes or forget anything in the process. Everything just went from beginning to end.

It helps that I finally figured out a sanitizing setup that doesn't require much work. I make a 5 gallon batch of star-san in one carboy, and let it sit overnight to kill the foam. I have a flat plastic bin that I store my equipment in that coincidentally holds about 7 gallons so I now take out the equipment and siphon the sanitizer into the bin. It's flat so I don't even need to raise the carboy, I just pour the remainder in. Since the equipment all fits in, I can throw anything in and it will cover. I just use the siphon, tubing, funnel, airlock, caps and whatever straight from the bin. The carboy is also sanitized since it was holding the sanitizer. When I'm done brewing I siphon into my other carboy and I'm done cleaning too. I used to spend a lot of time washing, sanitizing, waiting to dry, having to run the long equipment through.

It also helps that I made a wort chiller. The two best purchases were an auto-siphon and the chiller. My next purchase will be a kettle for full boil.

The batch was an American Ale, nothing fancy, and first tastes were clean. Still in the secondary at this point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did the same thing the other day. I took a year off of brewing, then started back up last month. I brew 11 gal batches, my brew times were shorter, about 5-6 hours. Real lay back, taking it easy. I remember last year, I was spending all day brewing 8hrs plus. I dont know what changed?

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 12-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
zacster
Recipes 

That's the other thing, it didn't take that long. Beyond the steeping and boil times, it didn't feel like I was spending much time doing prep or cleanup. I must've done something wrong.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1296

I'm at that point now. I don't need to think about it too much beyond the recipe. That's what getting a good process down is all about.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

It's good to have a process that works for you, but why do you wait for the foam to subside? The best thing about starsan is the foam that coats everything and you don't have to rinse off. I feel much more secure racking into a carboy filled with foam, so I know anything that gets in is falling onto starsan before it hits my beer. I'd save yourself the time and stop fearing the foam!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-09-2011, 02:32 AM   #6
zacster
Recipes 

It's not that I "fear the foam", it just gets in the way. More than I want gets stuck in the carboy. And it is one step that I do in advance anyway. Like I said, I just use all my equipment straight out of the starsan, no wiping or drying, including my hands. When I bottle, there is usually foam in all of them.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #7
zacster
Recipes 

I bottled this 2 weeks ago, also without issue, and I took my first sample bottle today. Excellent! It needs at least another week or two, but I hit the mark on this one.

My biggest fear was that I noticed my tubing was stained when I cleaned up. That's never a good thing but it doesn't seem to have impacted it. Time for new tubing.

Quick Reply