Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I think I am Bummed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #21
NYeric
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
Yeah that happens from time to time. But I would like to point out, is that you shouldn't get down about the ABV alone not meeting your expectations. Sure it does affect the product, but in general you'll still wind up with something very worthwhile. So don't be bummed.
I hear you, I am sure I won't be quite as bummed when I am tipping the bottle in a positive direction...........

...........I have noticed though the majority of the "novice" recipes all start out with an OG of 1.040-1.042 so they are all fairly weak. No worres I am off to the LHBS and am going to pick up some real ingredients.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #22
woosterhoot
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrid
I'm not a seasoned pro or anything, but my recommendation is that you do a bit of research. Don't worry, it's fun research! Get two things:
1. Go to a good beer store, preferably one that has the "build your own six pack" option, compile one or two of said six packs of different types of beers. take them home and decide which ones you like enough to try to emulate.
2. If you don't have it already, get a copy of Papazian's "Complete Joy of Homebrewing" look for the chart for formulating recipes and find the closest thing to what you want to brew on that chart and start from there. It breaks it down simply enough that you won't have to rely on a kit to get the recipe right. Not that there's anything wrong with a kit, but I don't think they're all that necessary.
Jarrid is totally on the mark with the Papazian book. I am coming back to brewing after intial failures years ago. The book gives you the whole picture for brewing extracts so that you can follow the basic extract instructions and create your own recipies or modify the ones he has in the book. Its very instructional, but also a intresting read.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #23
NYeric
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
I think Stone's IPA is the best. I'd recommend you try Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale, though. It's a pale ale, not an IPA, so it's not as intense. It would make a great bridge from malty beers to an IPA.
OK I just cracked open a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...I really like it....Like it alot! So I realize this is not an IPA, but is this what I can expect basically. I do like it. Too bad I have to work tonight, I would have another....

Also I just bought Papazian's book. Thanks much for the advice!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Well, an IPA is a bit more intense than the SNPA. I would consider SNPA a milder cousin of an IPA. SNPA is an American Pale Ale and I suspected you might like it if you're wanting to head into hophead territory.

If you want, you could do a SNPA clone or a different American pale ale and then head into the IPA zone next batch. English pale ales are good, too, a little more malty than the American version. I can't think of any English one's off the top of my head but I did a Brewer's Best kit that was great.

Let me know if you need some help looking for recipes.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #25
NYeric
Recipes 

Quote:

Let me know if you need some help looking for recipes.
Oh yeaaaa...gimme...gimme

I have one that I am going to do in the next couple days, and I was looking for some thoughts on that as well, but I will post that separate

Old 04-17-2007, 11:40 PM   #26
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

I saw a SNPA clone in the recipe database, here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21220
But he didn't say how it came out- good, I assume. Maybe you can pm him or he can chime in and say how it turned out.

And this one comes from BYO: http://byo.com/recipe/708.html

And yet one more:

6.6 lb Light Malt Extract
1.0 lb Crystal Malt (40-60L)
1.0 oz Perle Hops (60 min boil)
1.0oz Cascade Hops (15 min)
1.25oz Cascade Hops (5 min)
1.0 oz Cascade Hops (Optional - Secondary fermenter dry hop)
Wyeast American Ale Yeast 1056
3/4 cup priming suger
Instructions:

Put the 1lb crushed crystal malt in grain bag and steep for 30 minutes in 1.5 to 2 gallons of water. Heat to approximately 170F (not exceeding 180F), remove grain bag, bring water to boil, add extract and boil one hour adding hops at appropriate times.

Ferment in primary one to two weeks. Watch your ferment temperatures, try to keep them in the 63F to 68F range. (Optional) Dry hop in secondary for one to two weeks. Add priming sugar and bottle

So, there are a couple right there.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #27
NYeric
Recipes 

Quote:
So, there are a couple right there.
You are my hero-ette....Thanks so much! I will try the one you wrote out.....

I think I just fell in love with wheats too...I am drinking a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat....Uhhhh gonna have to make this too....hahah this hobby is gonna kill me

Old 04-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #28
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Welcome to the obsession! I have cases and cases of beer stacked up, one full carboy, one gurgling primary and I'm looking for more beers to make! I also make wine, so that's an issue, too. Good think I have big house!

Old 04-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #29
maxy007
Recipes 

Hi Lorena,
Out of all the brews you have made what is your favourite wheat beer? I've just started getting into them and love 'em

Cheers,

Maxy?

Old 04-27-2007, 12:15 PM   #30
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Well, that's the funny thing. I don't like wheat beers much at all- made one and gave it away. My "Lil Bastard" has some wheat in it- like 2#, for a lighter flavor and head retention. So, for wheat beers, we've got to ask a wheat beer expert.

Quick Reply