Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I still have airlock bubbles after 3 weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Belmont
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I still have airlock bubbles after 3 weeks

I've heard all of the comments about confusing airlocks for hydrometers so there's no need to repeat it. I for one am not fond of opening my fermenting vessel unless I'm fairly certain that fermentation is complete. Then I'll take a hydrometer reading.

That said, I had an IPA with OG 1.060. I let it sit in primary for 2 weeks. It stopped bubbling completely after 7 or 8 but it still sat on the yeast for 2 weeks. Then I racked to secondary with dry hops in a hop bag. I wasn't paying attention to it for several days after racking but now that it's nearing the time I was expecting to keg it, I've noticed that the airlock is bubbling once every 30-45 seconds. There is a pretty good amount of yeast that has dropped out of suspension at the bottom of the carboy. It's been almost a week in the secondary. The bubbles in the airlock indicate active fermentation though right? Regardless of hydrometer reading, the bubbles show that CO2 is being produced and fermentation is definitely active right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes, but I think that there can be slow active fermentation in some cases for a very long time. What are the fermentation temps? It could be that it was cool enough that the yeast is just doing its job really really slowly. if you're seeing the bubbles still every 30-45 seconds its still doing something. I've never been overly worried about opening up my vessel to take gravity readings, as I regularly sanitize everything, and the cushion of co2 on top helps keep a lot out, and the exposure is minimal, a few seconds to a minute max, and I've yet to have one go bad.. (but I've not done TONS of them, but I've also heard tons tell me its completely safe anyway)

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Probably just CO2 coming out of solution. If the beer has warmed up between primary fermentation and now, this is most likely the case.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Belmont
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It has warmed up a bit. I was fermenting at 68-70 and it is now about 72-73.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Shine a flashlight through the carboy to see where the bubbles are coming from. If it's from several spots in the yeast bed, you probably have one of those mysterious dry hop fermentations, where the addition of the non-fermentable hops, for whatever reason, triggers new yeast activity. Assuming that's what it is, it's not harmful, just annoying, because it delays clearing of the beer.

Go ahead and take a hydrometer reading and do a taste test, just to rule out an infection. If you are at final gravity, you can either just let it go or convince the yeast to call it quits by cold crashing.

Before bottling, bring it back up to temperature just to make sure you don't get any more yeast activity (unlikely). And just to be on the safe side, I'd carbonate fairly low for the style.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 03-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
Belmont
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Even with a flashlight I can't see much past the walls of the carboy. Not very clear at all. I'm never really as worried about clarity as I am flavor. Is this okay to keg as is or should I put it in the refrigerator? How long?

Old 03-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont View Post
Even with a flashlight I can't see much past the walls of the carboy. Not very clear at all. I'm never really as worried about clarity as I am flavor. Is this okay to keg as is or should I put it in the refrigerator? How long?
As long as you are at final gravity, I'd crash and maybe fine it to get some more of the suspended yeast to settle out (that shouldn't take longer than a few days), then keg it.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 03-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Hydrometer overrides bubbles every time. If you are at your FG and it's stable, ignore the bubbles.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply