*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I need to move my beer while in the fermentor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
HolidayIF1488
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeerninja
Ya, I'd rather not explain, too long and complicated.

The set up I have now is a plastic carboy with a rubber stopper with a hole in the middle and one of those small air locks shoved in it. I have on hand tubes and jars and sealed caps for them as well.

What would be the best way to cap it? If I switch the cap will it let in too much o2? Or will the beer push it out? If I decide to bottle is it ok to move those around and transport them?

And what exactly happens if o2 does get into it?
Bottles can be moved anywhere without issue. I think you'd be good to switch the cap. You take gravity readings don't you? You open it then. You should probably just bottle. O2=oxidization=not good=bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
NPK
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I hate to be unhelpful but isn't a large life event like moving (only) slightly more important than a batch of beer? I'd rather seal the fermenter up and hope for the best than bottle it early. If you took good notes, you can recreate the batch of beer for less than the cost of moving when you get to your destination.

Hey, no bottle bombs!

Old 01-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #13
HolidayIF1488
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPK
I hate to be unhelpful but isn't a large life event like moving (only) slightly more important than a batch of beer? I'd rather seal the fermenter up and hope for the best than bottle it early. If you took good notes, you can recreate the batch of beer for less than the cost of moving when you get to your destination.

Hey, no bottle bombs!
Good point.:-)

Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You can either leave the airlock on it, or use a lid without an airlock if it's done fermenting. They have carboy caps or bungs for carboys, but if it's in a bucket I'd be a lot more careful due to the wide headspace. If it's in a bucket, I'd probably go ahead and bottle it if it's done fermenting. If it's in a carboy, I wouldn't sweat it at all and just move it.
Wouldn't the head space be CO2 anyway? If it sloshes around a bit would it really run the risk of oxidizing?

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 01-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #15
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I bought a solid stopper to put in my Better Bottles so I could shake the hell out of them for aeration. When I can't find the solid stopper i just put a freezer bag over the lid with rubber bands. Go with a freezer bag/rubber band and your beer will be fine.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
thebeerninja
Recipes 

To help dispel some of the mystery, the place where I stay and brew at where at first ok with me brewing there but now they are weirded out about it and don't want any one to know there is beer being made on their premises. So I need to move it to a buddies house ASAP, and it gets more complicated because there are two fermenters going and one is his beer. However, the owners of the place I'm staying at don't want anyone coming over to help brew or move or anything like that to get this stuff out. I gotta do it solo. that's the dilemma in a nut shell.

So I'm still undecided on the best way to do this still?

Old 01-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
jotakah
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeerninja View Post
I also have a bottling bucket handy, would it be a good idea to rack the beer, clean the carboy then rack it back to get a bunch of sediment out before transport?
I would not do this. Once you rack out of fermentation into bottling bucket, it should go to bottles. Otherwise when you DO bottle it will have transferred 3+ times.

In regards to the rest of the thread: I have driven with a full fermentor a few times. It is NOT an ideal situation but if you don't have any potentially upset passengers, I would use towels or something to decrease the indentation in the passenger seat so that it doesn't lay-back on an angle, then I would strap it into the front seat next to you wearing a seat belt. On any sharp turns or bumps in the road, you can put your hand over to keep it steady and from rocking too much.

Or you can bottle.

Quick Reply