Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I need a little help deciding what size of pots to buy...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default I need a little help deciding what size of pots to buy...

hey people

I am trying to brew all-grain beer and I need to decide the size of my future pots (it also depends on what's available here in Spain).

Id like to brew 8 gallons....so I have a nice big enough cooler to do the mashing. However....I wanna break down the 60-min boiling part into 2 parts and boil 4 gallons in 2 pots with the hops. The biggest pot I can get my hands on is of 4.5 gallons.

Problem: I guess..I'll have to add 10% extra wort (since about 10% will evaporate during the boil)....and this means that I'll have 4.4 gallons in a 4.5-gallon pot. That seems to be pretty stupid......I think it will overboil the moment I add the hops...what do you think? How much extra space do I need in my pot? 0.5 o 1 gallon at least?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Trying to brew a typical 5 gal. AG batch in a 4.5 gallon pot is going to be a good trick. Be sure to post back telling us how that comes out. I do full boils (@6.5 gal.) in a 7.5 gal. pot, which is no problem using Fermcap-S to prevent boilovers. But I regard it as pretty much the minimum (just as I regard full boils as a standard practice for AG).

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Elysium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
Trying to brew a typical 5 gal. AG batch in a 4.5 gallon pot is going to be a good trick. Be sure to post back telling us how that comes out. I do full boils (@6.5 gal.) in a 7.5 gal. pot, which is no problem using Fermcap-S to prevent boilovers. But I regard it as pretty much the minimum (just as I regard full boils as a standard practice for AG).
It wont be a 5 gallon bach in a 4.5 gallon pot. It is going to be an two 4 gallon batches in 2 separate pots.

But I am wondering how could I brew a 4 gallon batch (mashing will happen in a cooler...so now I am just talking about the 60 minute boil...that's all I need the pot for) in a 4.5 gallon pot....that seems to be impossible...since I need to put more than 4 gallon worth of wort in the pot....because of the evaporation rate of the liquid.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had a 5 gallon beer (6.5 preboil) over flow my 15 gallon keggle a week ago.... 4.5 is going to be way too small Imo.

Are you boiling outside with a propane burner? If so I wouldn't waste money on anything smaller than 15 gallons

Old 04-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Elysium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt3989 View Post
I had a 5 gallon beer (6.5 preboil) over flow my 15 gallon keggle a week ago.... 4.5 is going to be way too small Imo.

Are you boiling outside with a propane burner? If so I wouldn't waste money on anything smaller than 15 gallons
inside....and my stove is electric. Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
NathPowe
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 30

If I were you I'd keep looking for something bigger. As stated above, I wouldn't want smaller than a 7.5gal pot for 5gallon batches. So if you're doing 4gal then a 7.5gal pot would be about right. I use a 10gal pot for my 5gal batches and really like it. I'd say it's fairly likely that if you buy something smaller, you'll just end up getting a bigger pot later on. Just my $0.02. Good luck.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post

inside....and my stove is electric. Thanks for the reply.
Ah okay, that does present a problem.

If you're a do it yourselfer, you might think about just getting a larger pot and putting a heating element right in the pot. Elements are fairly cheap and you could either do an "assisted stove top boil" where the stove and the electric element work together, or with a powerful enough element, boil without the stove. Immersed elements are also extremely efficient with some good insulation around your pot.

I know that's getting away from your initial post, just something to think about. I personally wouldn't want to be on the verge of a boil over inside all the time....it's bad enough when I make starters haha.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
bikesandbrews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have been doing something similar to this.
i have a 3 gal kettle and brew 5 gal batches.
process:
mash for 1 hour then boil 2.5 gallons
then boil another 2.5

seems to work fine, im no scientist when it comes to this brewing game. Clean equipment and fundamental understanding and everything should come out fine.

i did however just upgrade to a 8 gallon aluminum kettle so this process won't be used anymore. If you check out amazon.com they have many 8 gal pots which are mint for all grain biab and other methods of brewing, mine was 70 bucks shipped to canada.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Elysium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesandbrews View Post
I have been doing something similar to this.
i have a 3 gal kettle and brew 5 gal batches.
process:
mash for 1 hour then boil 2.5 gallons
then boil another 2.5

seems to work fine, im no scientist when it comes to this brewing game. Clean equipment and fundamental understanding and everything should come out fine.

i did however just upgrade to a 8 gallon aluminum kettle so this process won't be used anymore. If you check out amazon.com they have many 8 gal pots which are mint for all grain biab and other methods of brewing, mine was 70 bucks shipped to canada.
thanks for the reply. This means that you only have 0.5 gallon extra space if your pot is a 3 gallon one, but this doesn't make much sense since you also have to have space for the extra liquid that boils off.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
bikesandbrews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My process is pretty lazy compared to most people haha. my 8 gallon pot will make it easier.

Quick Reply