Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I need hoppier and hoppier beers...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
JLem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default I need hoppier and hoppier beers...

I've heard/read that once you start acquiring a taste for higher IBU beers your taste perception changes and beers that you once thought were super bitter no longer seem so. I think I may have reached this point. Since I've started homebrewing about a year ago, my appreciation for all the different beer styles has really increased and I have been trying many different beers (much to my enjoyment). I was never a BMC drinker, but never ventured much farther than Sam Adams and Bass. Until I started homebrewing, that is.

Anyways, I've had a number of beers recently that I have enjoyed tremendously, but thought each one would be more bitter. These have included Troegg's Hopback Amber, Clipper City's Loose Cannon Hop3 Ale, Blue Hills' IPA, and Mayflower's IPA. I did a little searching and based on info on the web these beers are in the 50ish IBU range. Even some of the homebrews I've made recently - an Altbier and a "hoppy" Red - do not seem as bitter as their 40-50 IBU estimate would suggest.

I made the mistake of ordering a Bass the other night while out to eat. It tasted like lightly flavored, brownish water. Last year, I tried a Stone Old Guardian and thought it's bitterness was way too intense - I could only really drink a few sips. I think I may need to revisit that and see what I think now.

No real questions I guess, just some observations. Thanks for reading

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, that's just how it works unfortunately. I can't enjoy beers I used to enjoy 5 years ago for this very reason. Dead Guy Ale used to be one of my favorites but now I find it's hop profile lacking. Nothing wrong with that though, the more beers you try the more your palate develops. A few years ago I'm sure an Imperial Stout would've made me gag, but now it is probably my favorite style.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

The slide into increasing hop tolerance doesn't necessarily last forever. 5 or 6 years ago I became a hardcore hophead. Almost every beer I made or bought was some sort of IPA. Then all of a sudden about two years ago, I noticed myself feeling burned a lot more often with IPAs. Sometimes, they were just too much. As of last year, I've nearly sworn them off entirely. I currently make the occasional bitter but have delved mostly into German styles like Kolsch, Hefeweizen, Alt, Dunkel, etc. Light hops and a solid but not overpowering malt presence are what I shoot for these days. That's just where my tastebuds are at now. Some IPAs I used to love are now beers I no longer especially care for.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

On the plus side, if you do burnout on IPAs, your taste buds will re-grow.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

It's called Lupulin Threshold Shift, enjoy it!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 04-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
l1ranger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i've loved hops from the beginning and still do, but I've grown into an appreciation for other less hoppy beers since getting into homebrewing.

Josh

bottle - some odds and ends
Primary - Belgian Pale
Secondary - smoked ale, christmas ale
on deck - brrrrr-ley wine

Old 04-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

I hate hops and bitter beer.

<----- Look at my avatar!

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 04-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
funkbier
Recipes 

I noticed the same thing, then started to appreciate well balanced beers like mirror pond over hop bombs like ruination

Old 04-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN51277 View Post
I hate hops and bitter beer.

<----- Look at my avatar!
yes, you must hate hops, great moto by the way

Old 04-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 76

America is only just re-discovering beer. Things will settle down over time, and eventually brew pretty much the same styles that have been proven in Europe over the last hundred years or so. Balance is the key, and once the playground has explored all the nice new exciting ideas, America will define it's own unique style. I doubt though, that it will feature too many hop bombs or malt monsters. Why do you think we have been stuck with BMC so long? In the end, the market will base itself on the middle ground.

One thing is for sure though, America is changing the norm, and in a good way. We are just not there yet.

Quick Reply