The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I need all your help getting a job at a brewery!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
hans_shu_east_gluff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default I need all your help getting a job at a brewery!

So I have no formal training, no school, no experience other than at home. But I have been brewing for a while and have tried a little bit of everything as far as home brewing goes. Maybe even more so than some, (tried malting my own barley for a while and drying/roasting it for all-grain recipes)

I emailed a brewery in an area I plan to move to in the near future. The head brewer got back to me and confirmed that they don't hire a lot because they are a smaller brewery but requested my resume and cover letter anyways.

My question it: What kind of things should I talk about in my cover letter? What are important points and things to really stress about my brewing experience? I am in love with brewing and want to go commercial in order to gain experience. I know breweries don't pay well and the work can be hard. I'm an all-year round roofer in Canada, a brewery would be easier (physically) and a step up for me in pay. Any help at all would be appreciated. Its been so long since I have had to modify my resume or write a cover letter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 112

lol.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Stress how much you love to clean, work hard, and wear rubber boats. Mention how strong you are, and how you can wield a shovel to muck out mash tuns.

I'm joking, but not really. At that level, brewing is about 1% of the job while hard, backbreaking work with a good attitude is 99% of it.

Even the brewmaster walks around in rubber boots, with a canoe paddle for a mash paddle, and works their butt off. It's HARD work.

I have one friend who owns his own Nano, and he's the hardest working guy I know. One of my friends is the brewer at a brewpub, and he works just as hard. Carrying around sacks of malt, emptying mashtuns, cleaning, sanitizing, etc is the bulk of the work.

For your cover letter, I'd be clear that you're not romanticizing working in a brewery, but instead really willing to put in a hard day for being able to work in the field.

Roofing is probably much easier in many many ways, and definitely pays more than working in a brewery as a brewery rat.

People Like This 
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
hans_shu_east_gluff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good points. I definitely don't have a romantic vision of working in a brewery. I know the kind of work I am up against. That's a great idea to mention in my cover letter. I'm not really concerned with pay. I'm near the poverty line and would trade cold outside work on a roof in a heartbeat. More with having experience and maybe some form of education at the end that I can use.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
hans_shu_east_gluff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lol as in I have no chance or lol because I'm insane for wanting this kind of work so badly?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yeah, you should definitely stress how much you understand how tough the work is going to be and also stress how you're used to hard work, but you'd like a shot at being a part of a company that produces good beer that people like to drink. You should give him the impression that you're going to take pride in your work.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
SagamoreAle
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

The probably get inquiries all the time that say "I am a homebrewer and I want to work commerically. I will work really hard etc etc.".

Try to find something distinctive about yourself that sets you apart.

Ex fermentum, scientia.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I work as the brewer for a small brewpub and Yooper hit it spot on. It is constant cleaning and heavy lifting interrupted by brewing ocassionally.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 162

All of the above, plus it would do you well to get in with a local brewing club and basically live at the tap room of said breweries. Most positions that open up at nano brews (from my experience) are more about who you know than your actual skill level.

That being said, it's still amazing to me why there are so many breweries still opening up with the current popularity surge. Most produce a mediocre product at best, and about one in 100 actually make a beer that's unique or truly magical.

I'm waiting for the beer bubble to burst so that I can snitch up some cheap large scale used brewing gear.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 AM   #10
markm2151
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Can't reiterate what the guys above be have said: it's hot, it's sweaty, it smells of chemicals when cleaning, but at the end of the day it's the most fun I have.

Honestly, you should be 100% willing to volunteer your time for a few weeks or a couple months. You admittedly have no experience, no commercial brewing experience, and these guys will have to train you. Be open to working for free until you're trained and offer some value to the brewery. After all, we do this for the love, not the money. And you might just find a couple full fermenters coming your way if you're volunteering.

Quick Reply