New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I might use a gas burner inside. Is it safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
boscobeans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Small kitchen,
Thirteen gallons,
Gas burner...??

It all adds up to a lot of steam, heat and carbon monoxide in a small room even with good ventilation.

I would not do it.

bosco

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
DrunkleJon
ADD Ginge.. HEY, that is shiny!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 739 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Firstly I believe using a burner indoors, or even in a garage is illegal. All fire safety arguments aside, there is the carbon monoxide issues from above. As an example, using my LP burner in my garage this winter with the door half closed, started getting a little dizzy and lightheaded. Opened that door right up and left the garage for a while. Do not mess around with monoxide poisioning. Scary stuff.

If you decide to go this route, and I highly reccomend against using an outdoor burner indoors, think through your ventilation thoroughly and take whatever percautions you have decided on and at least double them. Make sure you have at least two points open (doors, windows) to outside, with noticeable air flow between them and preferably add in fans, etc. Humidity will be an issue. Mold, peeling paint, electronics damage may occur. And for the love of all things beery, if you start to feel funny in any way shut off the heat and get the hell out of there for a while.

All in all it is a really bad idea. Especially if you have a high output regulator. Do not mess around when it comes to the safety of yourself an those that live with/around you.

Also, if you can't tell I feel strongly about this. Be safe.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
Firstly I believe using a burner indoors, or even in a garage is illegal. All fire safety arguments aside, there is the carbon monoxide issues from above. As an example, using my LP burner in my garage this winter with the door half closed, started getting a little dizzy and lightheaded. Opened that door right up and left the garage for a while. Do not mess around with monoxide poisioning. Scary stuff.
Yes it is dangerous and illegal for fire safety, but if the CO was getting to you, you need to adjust your equipment. Propane burns clean and a car starting up in the garage will produce a much, much more significant CO spike than a single propane burner w/ decent ventillation (garage with door open).

I would never burn inside the house. OTOH, brewing in my high ceilinged garage, near the center of the (open) bay door, with a fan or decent wind ventillation... well the risk is extremely low.

Ref: http://www.propane101.com/carbonmonoxideandpropane.htm
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 05-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 649 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 820

During the winter months and even last night I brew in a enclosed concrete stairwell. I crack the door up top to let the steam out and have never had a issue other than steam and condensation.

I know it is not very safe but heck when it is snowing out you do what you have to

Old 05-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 47

OP, is there a good reason you need to boil indoors? If it is just to escape the cold, better cold toes than a body that has achieved room temperature (dead).

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Newsman Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #16
LowNotes
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybomber View Post
What if it's natural gas though? Less CO production, right?
Yes, Natural Gas is fine for burning indoors. Otherwise you probably would see a lot less NG: water heaters, stoves, fireplaces in homes around the country.

Also, the liquid and steam aren't really an issue in my opinion. I do full volume boils in my kitchen on my stove, and there really isn't *that* much vapor collecting. Of course my kitchen is open to the rest of the house, if it were a small kitchen and it was closed off I guess *maybe* it would be an issue, but likely no more than a steamy bathroom after a shower.

The biggest problems with using a propane burner indoors have been covered. Carbon monoxide will kill you before you even realize there is a problem. This can be mitigated with proper ventilation, but as noted in one of the early posts, I wouldn't trust anything without a GOOD carbon monoxide monitor present.

The other issue is the outdoor burner not being rated for indoor use. It could cause something nearby to catch fire, or if something goes wrong and the thing tips over, that amount of flame can cause things to get out of hand quickly.

And of course the WORST case I can imagine, is you pass out due to CO poisoning, then the burner just keeps rolling until the liquid evaporates and the bottom of the kettle catches on fire, causing the entire building to burn down, with your passed out body still inside.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
chicken
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
Do not mess around with monoxide poisioning. Scary stuff.
Seriously. Not worth the risk, in my opinion.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowNotes View Post
Yes, Natural Gas is fine for burning indoors. Otherwise you probably would see a lot less NG: water heaters, stoves, fireplaces in homes around the country.
There are many indoor propane burners too. The propane tank is always outside and the system is tuned so it burns clean.

The problem is with untuned systems (an outdoor burner can burn fairly clean, but never perfectly clean) and systems installed without a licensed plumber (i.e. outdoor screw-on systems, which have a higher failure rate).

In other words, it's not the gas... it's the system. You see more NG systems because it's easier to get (no deliveries) and cheaper to install (no tank). NG also floats (SG 0.65) vs Propane, which sinks and pools (SG 1.5), making NG slightly safer (floats away from most flame sources and doesn't stay near the gas source).
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 05-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #19
devils4ever
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Personally, I would not do it. IMO, its way too risky.

"Hush little brewski don't you leak, daddy wants to drink for at least a week." -- Bender of Futurama

"Actually, Dwight, you're right. Alcohol is very very bad...for children. But once you turn 21, it becomes very very good! So scram!" -- Leela

Newsman Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowNotes View Post
Except for stoves, none of these items vent into the house. They all have flues.

Quick Reply