Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I might have switched my Arrogant Bastard and IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
JLW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default I might have switched my Arrogant Bastard and IPA

I'm getting ready to bottle what I think is an IPA however it is dark in color almost red. looks eerily similar to the Stone Arrogant Bastard clone I brewed around the same time. I added the dry hops the this "IPA" a week ago and I'm supposed to bottle tonight. I guess the worst that can happen is I have a hopped up Arrogant Bastard and maybe a bland IPA?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
Photopilot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
I guess the worst that can happen is I have a hopped up Arrogant Bastard and maybe a bland IPA?
Arrogant Bastard is worthy of dry hopping anyways. Even better rack it into a glass carboy and Oak it. I brewed 10 gallons of AB and experimented with it. The normal dry hopped is a good beer, the oaked version is a really good beer. The last two gallons I added bourbon to is a phenomenal beer. I added 1.5 oz of oak for 5 days then 1oz of bourbon per gallon of beer.

You could always dry hop the second beer in question. I can't imagine any beer in the hoppy range being adversely affected by dryhopping.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Unfortunately, I already bottled the IPA. I like the idea of oaking the AB these beers are for the beach in 5 weeks so it's probably too late to do much else with either of them.

Next time I will listen to my wife when she tells me "you should lable those so you don't confuse them". My response "pfffffttttt, whatever"

Old 06-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:

Next time I will listen to my wife when she tells me "you should lable those so you don't confuse them". My response "pfffffttttt, whatever"
I agree with your wife. I use a sticky pad to write the name of the beer, and the date brewed with OG numbers on. I'd hate to dry hop my German Weissbier and not the IPA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
Photopilot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Unfortunately, I already bottled the IPA. I like the idea of oaking the AB these beers are for the beach in 5 weeks so it's probably too late to do much else with either of them.
5 days of oak, bottle next Saturday and it still has 4 weeks in bottle, plenty of time to carbonate. If not at least pour a few shots of bourbon in the end of the bottling bucket. If the oak affect was not so good why does Stone charge a $6 premium for the Oaked Bastard? On the other hand you may end up with an Bourbon Oaked IPA. The Bourbon Oaked Bastard is so good i am looking to experiment more with these additions or maybe I should just start drinking more bourbon.

Quick Reply