Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I may be a loner in this lol But I dont like Hoppy beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #31
azmark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was in a I hate IPA mode for many many years,,,,but unless you've tried a few IPAs over the past couple years, you really never know. With the boom of late hops, c hops, wet hops, etc. There are many types of IPAs with many different flavor profiles, from pine, to floral, to citrus, from light and dry, to sticky and sweet.

It may be that you've just not found "your" IPA yet.

The one that did it for me was Big Sky IPA. Considered an average IPA by many, I just love the sticky sweet, citrus, grapefruit explosion it gives. Still hard to have more than two, but what a wonderful 2! And I say, drink them first before the other beers dull your taste buds. (then there's that whole drink it fresh problem,,,take the same great IPA and age it for 6 months, and you'll get a bitter skunky smelling beer)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #32
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I remember when SNPA used to taste really bitter to me and I was not a fan. Now I really enjoy hoppy beers. I think it is just an acquired taste for some people. It's like red wine...I used to hate that tannic bite of it, but now it's one of my favorite parts of it.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #33
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I used to hate hoppy beers but now I don't mind them from time to time.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #34
BuddyWeiser
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I thought I didn't like hops. But then after I started making my own recipes, I made it a point to brew beer styles I don't like (or didn't, rather). I figure that if I can make a beer that matches my tastes as much as possible within the guidelines of a style that I don't prefer, and if that beer ends up tasting good enough to drink, then I know I'm doing well. So I brewed an IIPA. It was amazing. Not just good, but one of the best things I've ever made!

I still don't prefer very much bitterness, but now through my own experience, I know hop flavor and aroma are where it's at.

RDWHAPBR

Old 10-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #35
Jeffh97
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My opinion is anyone that follows beer long enough will grow to love hops. I remember when I did not like IPAs and now they are battling their way into my favorite style.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #36
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
I like the diversity of choices we have in Beer. Some days I want Hoppy other days Malty, I don't feel like pegging myself to one taste or another. I like choices!
To each, their own!
I am the same. In my beer fridge I always have a range of brews so I can drink what I feel like at the moment. Right now in my fridge is an IPA, an Amber ale, a porter, a stout, a Tripel, a Dubbel, and a Saison. I just opened a saison and may have an amber afterer that.

Variety.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #37
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
I like beers that have a malt or almost sweetness to it...
ME TOO!!!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/hops-not-better-352618/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredge73 View Post
Hops are a natural aphrodisiac for women but a sexual sedative to men.
Do you have some scientific data on this? I've never heard anything like it and am intrigued.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #38
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Hops were originally a way to help prevent the brew from going rancid and being no good in the old wooden kegs. Hops have some weird chems that actually reduce oxidation and work against certain bacteria. I'm with you though, I prefer a good smooth malty brew with a firm head and a good coat the inside of your moth goodness mothfeel. But thats just me, Your tastes may be different, and that is OK too, thats why homebrew has different recipes. One will suit you too..
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #39
hoops_hops
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor
I like the diversity of choices we have in Beer. Some days I want Hoppy other days Malty, I don't feel like pegging myself to one taste or another. I like choices!
To each, their own!
Well said, sometimes at a good beer bar I have to sample 2-3 different styles to really know what I'm in the mood for. My tastes range from an enamel wrecker like 90 minute pale ale, to something smooth and malty like St. Peter's cream ale. But what is always tue for my taste is that a big hoppy beer needs to have some malt balance to even out the bitterness.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #40
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Drink what you like, and like what you drink!

Anybody who tells you what a beer is "supposed to be" is blowing smoke, unless it's the brewer, talking about what they were trying to achieve in that particular recipe or batch. Heck, even Bud-Miller-Coors deserve some props for hitting the exact type of beer they intend to, day in and day out, millions of gallons a day, 365 days a year. Somebody who's willing to write off the whole spectrum of beers that aren't hop-forward is missing out on almost as many beers as somebody who's willing to write off the whole spectrum of beers that aren't fizzy yellow rice water.

Quick Reply