I Love My LHBS because.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree! Mike keeps us "fed well" with a good supply of items on island. His new shop is laid out pretty nice too! Glad to have it!

I have also been to "Northern Brewer's" shop in Minnesota and that place is like the Best Buy of brewing. I wouldn't trade our weather for it, but is got "everything" you could ever think of.

BTW..When is the tasting of the Irish Red against Kevin's? I'd like to see how the controlled fermentation worked out. Aloha!

Love it because they have everything I've ever gone in for, and the prices are cheaper than what you can get it for on the internet. They also have a giant electric grain mill. Did I mention they had Hopslam by the skid load in the walk in cooler, where they store all the yeast and hops.

Well the weather isn't as good here in North West England but my lhbs is well stocked with more things than I need. Plus they have a discount stamp card, they're helpful, enthusiastic, they have free samples of all their brews which they are more than happy to offer when you visit :drunk: and most of all they love brewing :)

I think it's good to support you're lhbs whenever possible, only thing I don't buy from there are my bottles/glassware

http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/

Happy brewing :mug:

LabelPeelers has the best prices around. Oh, and my friend lives less than 5 minutes away and picks up my orders in exchange for a few homebrews. I live an hour away from LP, so it works out perfectly.

It's also a gas station, so I get gas... then throw in a few oz of hops or some grain, an energy drink, and a can of grizz.

I've been building up a decent inventory and the wife just thinks I'm filling up my truck.

They also have a great beer selection and always have what I'm looking for as it relates to homebrewing.

http://thelocalbest.com/sioux-falls/winner/90879/

Because whenever the owner is there, she always gives me a hops candy on my way out. It's like being a kid again. So much love.

They put up with me when most don't. :D
www.atlanticbrewsupply.com
They get all of my money for brewing ingredients. One of the guys there pretty much hand-held me through extract to all gran brewing. In fact, I would boldly say that without him, I would not have gotten to this site which acted as an extension to my brewing education.

I can get pretty much any ingredient I need there, they have a great mill, really nice and helpful guys, and I could literally throw a rock from my house and hit the place. Couldn't b more fortunate.

I'm not a fan of mine. Went in trying to up my volume on a dime (I can and did do this by myself) and they tried to sell me a $300 starter kit. I'll be back, but only for ingredients.

Because I don't have to pay shipping. I guess also because they support my club and will host a few meetings a year. Their hops aren't vacuum sealed and they have a cat to keep the mice down. But it is nice to be able to decide to brew and have the ingredients that day.

www.bencomoshomebrewsupply.com

There is nothing special about mine. Peope are nice enough, it's really close to my house, they always have a good supply of stuff on hand, prices are OK. For me though, I'm just not a patient person. I hate waiting for a product to arrive at my door. I'd rather just go get one I need, when I need it and be done with it. It makes it really nice that I don't have to think too far ahead on beers. I just go get when I need, come home and start brewing.

Because it's fantastic and starting their own brewery!

Also, they are super knowledgeable and help me with whatever I need!

Go Maltose Express-Monroe, CT

I love my LHBS because of the following:

They never treat people poorly when someone (me) has a question or two

They are nice to my kuds when I bring them with me

They typically have what I need in stock or can guarantee it will be on the Thursday restock shipment.

And lastly - it smells friggin awesome in there

Felt like this thread needed to be revived as I've seen a few people bitching about their LHBS...I have brewed for 8 years, never lived closer than an hour to a brew store and spent the last 6 about 3 hours from the closest. Just moved to Grand Junction, CO and have Lil Ole Winemaker a couple of miles away. Not a huge supply but I was so freaking happy to walk in, meet the owner Scott, BS about brewing, be given information about the local homebrew club (never been close enough to be able to participate in one of those either!), and walked out with a reasonably priced bag of hops and a couple of specialty malts I needed. Don't take your LHBS for granted!

I have 2. The first, Alternative Beverage, I've been buying ingredients since the mid- to late 90s and they are still going strong. Jess will take care of you. The second, The Nook and Tavern, is just starting out but they focus on unique and local ingredients, which changes the ball game for me. I much rather give my local stores my hard earned money.

....they are a brewery who’s brewers are always willing to help, and give advice. And they always offer me a beer.

My "local" homebrew shop requires a 50 minute drive...

So even though they have a great selection, I usually order online. I will probably get up there soon and purchase a sack of basemalt, so I don't get hit on shipping.

I wish I had a more local brew store, I'm so sick of all the cardboard from ordering online! I might actual go to the store more often just to save on dealing with cardboard haha

Brewtensils is my LHBS, and I've found it well stocked with just about everything anyone would need. Their on-line store seems pretty wonky right now, but they apparently just changed hosts...

They're right next door to/part of Belmont Party Supply, so if you don't want to brew it, you can probably buy it right next door.

the closest brewstore for me is 3 hours away, and that one is specialized in wine mostly.....

I order online from a store a bit further, but technically they are my "local" store...only about 400 miles away.

Locally, one of the drugstores has a small shelf with some buckets, basic gear and cooper cans....yay :(

I love mine because:
- They have really good selection of malt, yeast and hops that is well stocked
- Don't mind special ordering something if LD Carlson carries it
- Have reasonable prices when you factor in shipping from online
- Friendly and helpful staff
- Has been around 20+ years and is still going strong!

Because when I'm bored on a Saturday I can fill up a growler and go shot the **** with employees or customers and have a homebrew.

Mine (Weak Knee Homebrew in Pottstown Pa), vacume packs the grain, will sell you a sack of grain at near cost, has a barrel club, and serves their own beer for free.

It is a very well run little shop.

A shout-out to Brew & Grow Minnesota
Friendly, helpful staff.
Just a few miles from my house.
Awesome grain room--very clean and well-organized.
Comprehensive selection of gear and accessories. Lots of the little things that matter.
If they don't have the liquid yeast I need, or the ones they have are kind of old, the owner will order a few to add to his weekly shipment, and I will come back to get a pack that's only a week or two old.

i love my LHBS because they are 90 miles away so I don't rely on them for advice, I just take a list along when I'm traveling that way, pick up what I need and hit the road again.

I love my LHBS because they are *really* local (next door to where I take my kids to Taekwondo every day); have a huge selection of equipment, ingredients, and grain; will special order things; give good advice on building things; and support local homebrew-related events. Maryland Homebrew. It's a great place.

I don't really have a "local" anymore since Larry's Brewing Supply went out of business. But I've been going to Jon's Homebrew Supply in Puyallup since he opened (he used to work at Larry's) and I do love going there despite the drive. Jon always has time to chat about what he's got going, gives great advice, never tries to sell anyone more than they need, and has a great selection (growing every day).

Went to our local HBS today and told our guy that we are moving out of state. He moaned, "NOOOOOOOO!!" LOL! He's been such a help to us since we started brewing four years ago. Wish we could take him with us.

Closest LHBS to where we're going in 2 hours. OH well!

Not only am I blessed with 2 excellent LHBS's within 35 min. and 45 min., respectively, 15 min from me is "New York Craft Malt", one of NY state's premier malt operations. They sell not only to major craft breweries, but to the local HB'er as well. I was there today, and Ted the owner stopped what he is doing in the middle of his busy schedule to weigh out 33# (10# minimum) of various malts I needed at very reasonable prices. Not only do they have a fairly comprehensive selection, the great thing is, it's all super-fresh (the 2-row pilsner I bought was malted on Nov. 6). He encourages you to sample the different malts (actually taste the grains) before you purchase. Check them out online at www.newyorkcraftmalt.com.

Not only am I blessed with 2 excellent LHBS's within 35 min. and 45 min., respectively, 15 min from me is "New York Craft Malt", one of NY state's premier malt operations. They sell not only to major craft breweries, but to the local HB'er as well. I was there today, and Ted the owner stopped what he is doing in the middle of his busy schedule to weigh out 33# (10# minimum) of various malts I needed at very reasonable prices. Not only do they have a fairly comprehensive selection, the great thing is, it's all super-fresh (the 2-row pilsner I bought was malted on Nov. 6). He encourages you to sample the different malts (actually taste the grains) before you purchase. Check them out online at www.newyorkcraftmalt.com.

I just moved away from Colorado Malting Co. The grains are grown and malted within a 50 mile radius. The Cody's are the same way...Jason Cody (older brother? and president of the company) would meet me at the local brew pub and help carry stuff to my truck. Or he'd leave it in the brewery with my name on it and if leave him an envelope of cash with the bartender! I have been brewing with the freshest malt around for 6 years. Not gonna be the same when I have to buy more mainstream stuff.

Back