Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "I like beer that tastes like beer."

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
BinghamtonEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default "I like beer that tastes like beer."

Just got back from a week-long family re-union (wife's side) in Outer Banks, NC. I brought two cases of home brew to share. 1.5 cases was a cascade/willamette IPA, the rest was a SA Summer Ale clone.

My brother-in-law normally drinks only Yuengling and Rolling Rock, nothing else. Didn't touch either until he'd made sure all the Summer Ale was gone. Success. My wife's cousin went crazy for the IPA. My father-in-law, who only drinks Guiness and Stella, says "I don't like this. It tastes weird. I like beer that tastes like beer." At which point, he poured himself a glass of wine. FACEPALM. Note that weird = hoppy (citrusy).

You can't please everyone, nor do I am to. But when people like it, they really like it. Good thing I don't base my brewing success on my father-in-law. The only sad part is I have only 3 bottles left of the IPA, and 2 are going to the nanobrewer to share.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Enoch52
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I totally understand not trying to impress him, but I'll bet you could bring him around with a cream ale or blonde (or a lager, if you have the equipment for lagering) for the Stella, or a nice creamy stout for the Guinness.

Bottled: NB Irish Red; 1-gallon SMaSH IPA's: Citra, Cascade, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight and Mosaic; Bavarian Hefeweisen; Centennial Blonde; EdWort's apfelwein
Conditioning:
Primary: Mosaic IPA
On Deck: Cherry Melomel
Gone But Not Forgotten: Blue Schoon (Blue Moon clone)

Old 07-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
BinghamtonEd
Recipes 

I was actually thinking the same thing with a cream ale. I don't have the equipment for lagering. I have an apfelwein in one bucket, and when I get back from my business trip, I'll have another round of IPA in the other. Once the apfelwein is bottled, I might do a cream ale just to shut him up

Old 07-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Malty_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 125

No offense but that's a pretty ignorant thing for him to say. But hey, we all have in-laws, some better than others. I hear you on the hops - plenty of people are put off by any perceivable level of hoppiness. Guinness drinker? Perhaps a nice robust porter or stout would placate him.

PS. Your BIL has to be from PA. HAS to be. So am I. I think I got baptized with Yuengling as a kid.

So many recipes...

Fermenter:
Bottles: ESB, Bee Cave Bavarian Hef, Nick Danger Porter, Yoop's Hoppy Amber, Conan/Mosaic Session IPA

Old 07-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
BinghamtonEd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malty_Dog View Post
No offense but that's a pretty ignorant thing for him to say.
I think it was 50% that and 50% of him enjoying pissing me off. He'll take the opposing side of an argument just to get on my nerves, for fun. After we'd put back a few we were watching the dirtbike high-jump on TV, and we got into an argument about use of the brakes in mid-air effecting the bike's pitch. I don't think he's ever ridden and he took the opposing side just to get on my nerves, until my MIL told him to shut the hell up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malty_Dog View Post
PS. Your BIL has to be from PA. HAS to be. So am I.
Bout 10 minutes from PA. Close enough!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 888 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

When you are in a gourmet or artisan hobby (which we are), it makes things easier if we get comfortable with the reality that most people are not gourmets or appreciate artisan handcrafted foodstuffs. One of the members at our congregation is a really good baker and at a potluck, she brought some great bread she had baked. It was dense, chewy, and flavorful. Needless to say, the commercial white bread disappeared well before her wonderful handmade loaf.

Many people would prefer a McDonalds meal to a hand-made, cooked from scratch meal.

There is a reason American cheese is the most popular cheese sold in grocery stores - most of the shoppers have not developed their palates to the point where they appreciate more artisanal cheeses.

I offer my beer to anyone, but am not offended if they don't want to try it, and do not pay any attention if they prefer a light lager. I have the great advantage, though, of having many friends (and fellow club members) who appreciate handmade beer, so I don't feel a need for the affirmation of those who are not.

People Like This 
Old 07-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
BinghamtonEd
Recipes 

I agree 100%, Pappers. Though the comment he made was partially in jest, I doubt anyone at the pot luck told her her bread tasted weird, and not like bread.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 888 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinghamtonEd View Post
I agree 100%, Pappers. Though the comment he made was partially in jest, I doubt anyone at the pot luck told her her bread tasted weird, and not like bread.
That's the insidious thing - we now think that 'bread' tastes like mass-produced white bread, real bread is weird and not good. Beer, of course, tastes like factory-produced light lager - anything else is weird.

You might appreciate Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation which I just finished reading http://www.amazon.com/Cooked-Natural...transformation

He deals with fermentation and specifically beer making in this book, too. I found it thought-provoking.

And you have my empathy for putting up with the stupid comments about your beer, most brewers can relate to that experience.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
BinghamtonEd
Recipes 

Slightly on/off topic, my brother-in-law is a baker by trade. He works in a local bakery that delivers to stores in the area, and handles making most of their artisan breads and relatively obscure styles, as he's the only one there who has pursued formal training in those areas. He provided all of the bread products for the trip, and he makes some darn good bread. I give him free beer, I get all the free quality bread I need. I'm trying to get him to come brew with me, as I think he'd be great at it.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
BinghamtonEd
Recipes 

Pappers, thanks for the book suggestion. I'm leaving for a 10-day business trip on Monday, and our local B&N has this in stock, I might pick it up to take with me. Some of the reviews say it's great, some say it gets boring ("Maybe it was the 75 pages devoted to making a loaf of bread that wore me out.") What do you think? It sounds like you didn't find it too tedious?

Quick Reply