Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I Have Doubled my Alcohol Consumption

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Default I Have Doubled my Alcohol Consumption

I have recently doubled my consumption of craft beer, with my doctor's blessing, in an attempt to help raise my HDL ("good" cholesterol) levels.

Of course, I am such a mild drinker that even doubling my rate still only gets me to about four beers a week.

It is fun to annoy my teenaged daughter with announcements of "time to take my medication!" prior to opening a beer.

Full blog entry here, if you want all of the details.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale
NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I don't understand how alcohol can help to raise HDL cholesterol nor do I understand why a doctor would recommend it.

Excess alcohol consumption can definitely raise your Triglycerides, which is bad.

You're better off taking a Lovaza sized dose (or a little less) of Omega 3. Carlson Omega Elite is a great, cheap product. I buy the 180 pill count and keep them refrigerated. Two of these a day taken with food is good enough to help cholesterol.

4 beers a week is nothing by the way... so I wouldn't worry about it either way.

Edit:

You can get those Omega 3 supplements for 20% off the listed price quite regularly with an active coupon code...

http://www.drugstore.com/carlson-eli...7?catid=183249

Old 10-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
I don't understand how alcohol can help to raise HDL cholesterol nor do I understand why a doctor would recommend it.

Excess alcohol consumption can raise your Triglycerides, which is bad.

You're better off taking a Lovaza sized dose (or a little less) of Omega 3. Carlson Omega Elite is a great, cheap product. I buy the 180 pill count and keep them refrigerated. Two of these a day with food is good enough to help cholesterol.

4 beers a week is nothing by the way... so I wouldn't worry either way.
Excess alcohol consumption raises triglicerides, increases heart disease risk, leads to liver issues, increases risk of diabetes, etc.

Moderate alcohol consumption is good for your heart. Do a little research. Red wine has long been recognized for this, but as it turns out, a glass of beer - while containing fewer overall omeaga 3 compounds - provides an almost undistinguishable boost to heart health.

Fact: a few years ago, the American Heart Association made a decision and asked the doctors in this country to NOT promote the heart benefits of moderate alcohol consumption, due to the concern that there would be more lives lost to drunk driving and alcoholism than would be saved by decreased heart disease.

I can understand that from a public health perspective, but on an individual perspective, things change.

And yes, alcohol consumption DOES boost HDL. I knew this before I visited the doc - again, I did my homework. He confirmed it, though he was quick to point out that the benefit was lost if drinking got excessive.

I don't think that's an issue for me. I still have a couple of beers left from the first batch I brewwed in early January, and I gave many of them away.

Also, if you read the blog entry, you'd know that I've made a lot of changes - including exercise, better eating, and the addition of fish oil supplements. Beer is just a happy bonus.

Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Last edited by homebrewdad; 10-12-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: bad grammer. changed "less" to "fewer"
Revvy Likes This 
Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
bobbrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
Moderate alcohol consumption is good for your heart. Do a little research. And yes, alcohol consumption DOES boost HDL.

Also, if you read the blog entry, you'd know that I've made a lot of changes.
I don't understand why you went on attack mode.

I did make a point to say that 4 beers a week is nothing, and you shouldn't need to worry about it.

Now if you start drinking 3 or more beers a day for 2 years straight, especially with no exercise and a poor diet, then you may have something to worry about.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I had the same think happen after my heart surgery. During cardiac rehab when the looked at my numbers they encouraged me to drink more. Congrats!!!!

I posted this when it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
This is cool....In the packet of stuff from the re-hab nurse is a rundown on my cholesterol and measures to improve it. My HDL is 36 and for men it should be above 40. Under the section of "Measures to improve it," it says-

Quote:
Low saturated fat diet, excercise, weightloss, smoking cessations.

2 drinks/day
And a drink is considered
12 oz of beer
5 ounces of wine
1.5 ounces of 80 proof liquor.
Anyone wanna go out for a shot and a beer with me...A DAY?

Fyi my numbers are pretty good.

Cholesterol (Desirable numbers <200 ) My Number- 114
LDL (<70) Mine 57
HDL (> 40) Mine 36
Triglyceride (<150) Mine 104

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
I don't understand why you went on attack mode.

I did make a point to say that 4 beers a week is nothing, and you shouldn't need to worry about it.
Sorry, I had no intenton of coming across as being on attack mode - I absolutely apologize for coming across that way. Just stating more facts than you may have wanted to hear.

The post here was really just to celebrate that, "hey, I get to drink more beer and it's good for me!"

I realize that four beers is nothing to worry about... that puts me almost into non drinker territory.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Now if you start drinking 3 or more beers a day for 2 years straight, especially with no exercise and a poor diet, then you may have something to worry about.
That's probably right about where my consumption is. Blood tests, BP, etc. are all perfectly normal. Doc says he only needs to see me every 2 years at this point.

I do have a decent diet, though I love bacon and eggs and meat in general...I don't know if it's due to the fact that I won't eat fast food, that I drink a lot of water, or that I'm only 34 years old...but I'm in relative good health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
DrVertebrae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Only four beers a week would just be annoying. Two a day is a nice round number. Especially considering the vitamin B content of the yeasties involved in our home brewed concoctions. And for those interested, who work out or play sports like racquetball, there is not a finer time to have a couple than just after your favorite sport. Let the tall tales roll!

Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Yes, I am a lightweight. One good high gravity beer drank quickly gives me a tingle. Sue me.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
bobbrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
Red wine has long been recognized for this, but as it turns out, a glass of beer - while containing lfewer overall omega 3 compounds - provides an almost undistinguishable boost to heart health.
I don't know that I would call 4-6 oz of dry red wine with beneficial reservatrol, equivalent to a 22-44 oz. of sugary, carb laden beer in terms of daily health benefits but okay.

I love both. But ideally, no alcohol consumption is probably the best for health benefits. They do have the ability to isolate what's good for you in alcohol in pill form nowadays.

Quick Reply