Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I hate ignorant people

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2699 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 5850

Default I hate ignorant people

[rant]
So I was at work last night, doing what I do best: thinking about beer. I came up with this brand recipe and I am very excited to tell someone about it. I go to one of my officers, who I've never discussed beer with and asked, "Sir, are you a big beer drinker?" He responds, "I'm a big German beer drinker. I hate that American piss beer." So I said, "Just because it's not German doesn't mean it's American piss beer". "Uh, yeah," he says. At which point I walked away angrily so I didn't end up punching him. I don't know how you guys would have felt, but I was deeply offended. Apparently he was stationed in Germany in the Army and drank a lot of good German beer, which is great, I'd love to do that myself. But what is it about these assholes who spend some time in Germany drinking beer and automatically think they are somehow better beer drinkers than the rest of us? Saying that you like German beer but not "American piss beer" is fine, we all do that. But to say that if it's not German, it's piss beer? That pisses me right the f--- off. Well, I guess the joke's on him. As much as I think he would like the hefe I have brewing, he's not getting any because of that little comment. I also feel sorry for him. He's missing out on all the other wonderful styles of beer. He will never know the joy of a chocolate stout, an IPA, a porter or any of the other many awesome styles available besides German styles. Sorry for the rant, but this kind of ignorance just pisses me off.
[/rant]

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
telemarc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I like a good rant, so RDWHAHB. I agree with your rant, too. Although, when people think of American beer, I'll bet "Butt-wiper" comes to most people's minds. I'm no beer snob...tonight I'll be enjoying a couple Sierra Celebrations followed by a PBR or two!

Old 11-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Funny....In general I like ignorant people. They make me look even more smarter....but people that refuse to listen and learn are VERY irritating.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemarc View Post
I like a good rant, so RDWHAHB. I agree with your rant, too. Although, when people think of American beer, I'll bet "Butt-wiper" comes to most people's minds. I'm no beer snob...tonight I'll be enjoying a couple Sierra Celebrations followed by a PBR or two!
Harpoon Leviathan for me, best IIPA I've had yet. But I've not had Pliny the Elder, can't find it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna
Funny....In general I like ignorant people. They make me look even more smarter...
I have to agree with you there, but the amount it pisses me off outweighs it enough that I can't enjoy looking smarter than them. Oh well, commencing RDWHAHB time now.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well look at it the other way.....your boss was right about 80% of American beer. Bud and Miller do taste like piss. Sure, he hasn't tried the 20% of American beer that is excellent. His loss, more great beer for us!

Old 11-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesrose View Post
Well look at it the other way.....your boss was right about 80% of American beer. Bud and Miller do taste like piss. Sure, he hasn't tried the 20% of American beer that is excellent. His loss, more great beer for us!
I'll drink to that

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 11-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #7
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 486 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 17

So, since he's not in Germany, he gets to drink stale beer that's sat in a ship... then a warehouse... then in a hot train car... then in another warehouse... then on a truck... then the back room of a beverage shop.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #8
blindtiger
Recipes 

Best thing to do in that situation is to mock German beer openly, then say how much better Czech beer is.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:01 PM   #9
Sheep_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I hate "American Piss Beer" as well! I hope you don't consider yourself a contributor of the "American Piss Beer", if you do then you have the right to be offended. But I doubt that is the case. What you should do is reapproach him and tell him about the "Quality American Beer" that you brew and maybe even officer him a bottle or two!

Primary: #3 Mack's Mead
Secondary: Waiting.....
Bottled: #1 Rustic Brown Ale
Bottled: #2 High Country Apfelwein

Old 11-16-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
batches_brew
Recipes 

I use this kind of opportunity to educate about American non piss beer. You can connect on the common ground of hating BMC beer, and then let them in on a little secret. American Craft Brew and Homebrew.

No reason to get mad.

On Deck: Hefeweizen, ABA, Robust Porter

Quick Reply