HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I had a crazy idea - "Test Batching" Recipes...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Patro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/1-gallon-brewers-unite-311884/

You could probably get some pointers from these guys. I'd like to eventually like to start doing 1 gallon test batches, but for now I dont get to brew enough to survive on a gallon at a time. Good luck! And make sure to post the results of your tests!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
ViperMan
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Wow - that's a 200-page thread!!

The basic question I can't quite figure out is HOW do I divide up a vial of White Labs yeast to do this properly? I usually pitch one vial for 2.5 gallons of beer, and I'd presume that I could probably get 3 gallons easy without a starter (my LHBS says they're good for 5 gallons and frankly I've done it before with success.) But anyhoo, how do I make sure I'm getting enough yeast?

(I tried going through that thread to get my answer, but I'd NEVER have time to sift through 200 pages like that!)

Old 02-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
JonM

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I vial is good for 1 gallon. Wash that after fermentation, and then each of your four mason jars of washed yeast will be enough for each of your next four gallons, and so on.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
ViperMan
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm reviving my old thread to give a little update on progress.

Just last night I opened the result of one of these "test batches." But first I'll back up to the beginning.

I started off buying 4 1-gallon glass carboys from Uline. I then called my LHBS and ordered the smallest grain bill ever - 3.25 pounds. I buy a lot from them, so they were willing to make 10-ounce and 2-ounce bags of some of my grains. I then made a 3L starter from my White Labs yeast, and separated the yeast into three mason jars. I used one of these to pitch my 1-gallon wort, which I brewed BIAB-style and fermented in a 2-gallon bucket.

After about 10-14 days, I transfered the beer into a 1-gallon carboy and let it sit for another week or two. Then I took another carboy, added my priming sugar, and simply transfered from the secondary into a clean carboy. That's right - I have a 1-gallon "bottle" of beer. I primed direclty in my growler!

I truly expected failure (and of course, wasn't worried about throwing out about $10 bucks worth of beer if that was the case). But when I unscrewed the cap to a surprising "WOOSH" of releasing pressure, and then poured one of the most beautiful beers I've ever seen, complete with persistent head and gorgeous lacing, I was frankly amazed.

And the taste? Let's just say having experienced my first beer judging competition this past Saturday, I'm thinking I have a potential BOS on my hands...

This process will be repeated. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Quick Reply