Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I got shut down - no more outdoor brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #181
jacksonbrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
If that involves moving, move then.
Sweet! Does this mean you're shelling out the down payment?
Seriously though, for the record I have no problem with my HOA. They keep the grounds looking good. I didn't have to shovel a lick of the 35" inches of snow we got in December, or the 101" we got last season. They replaced our roof when it started leaking.
My issue is not with them. If someone hadn't directly called and said something, I don't think they would have cared. My problem is the nosey neighbor who lives right across from my garage. Although, me cutting back on consumption, making smaller batches really isn't a problem either.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #182
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Don't get the wrong idea. I am sympathetic to your dilemma. I think the 10' distance is going overboard and the use of BBQ's is not fair.

I would have to say the HOA is generally intended to make sure property values are protected. You don't want the cat lady with 50 cats or the guy that mows his grass twice a year in your neighborhood.

I'm curious as to how you will address this.

If it was up to me I'd make it a goal to move but in the mean time brew PM's inside or go with AC.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 03-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #183
epimortum
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Grass should not be mowed too often, it's bad for its uhh umm ego, yeah ego that's it.

Im Himmel gibt’s kein Bier, Drum trinken wir es hier.
Add yourself to the Home Brewers Map Here is the associated HBT Forum

Old 03-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #184
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

There's nothing to really address. It's a municipal law and I have no intention on breaking it. I work in news media, so I try to be a good example. If people start firing up their grill this season too close to their homes, I'll either report to the HOA that I'm seeing a lot of it, or I will let the people know myself.
As for moving, well, we just bought the place 21 months ago, about 2 months before I ever started brewing. So no plans to leave any time too soon, although is a thought for a few years down the road. Certainly not until the market picks back up.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 03-13-2009, 11:33 PM   #185
Mustangfreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

F*ck HOA's!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #186
katja
Recipes 

jacksonbrown, sounds like you have the right attitude - you like the benefits of living in that type of community, so you are willing to adapt to the limitations. sucks that you will have limitations on your brewing but it's obviously worth it to you for other reasons.

owning a home under the jurisdiction of a HOA would NEVER work for me, but good for you for keeping perspective on why you want to live there and being reasonable about your dilema.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #187
Dotneck
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
Seriously though, for the record I have no problem with my HOA. They keep the grounds looking good. I didn't have to shovel a lick of the 35" inches of snow we got in December, or the 101" we got last season. They replaced our roof when it started leaking.
I hate my HOA association too. They are a PIA although they have not tried to get me to stop brewing yet.

So far, I've been doing extract on the stove top...but I recently just bought a turkey fryer and I was thinking about moving out to the deck...I'd rather brew on the deck than in my garage....my garage is filthy and the deck has a nice view andis close to the kitchen...

Last edited by Dotneck; 03-14-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #188
gridstorm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is not for the OP, but rather the other posters on this thread. PS - I am also being shut down because of this rule.

However, what pisses me off more than HOAs are people who complain about their HOAs but never join and do any of the hard work themselves. If you want change, get on the board and do something about it.

Unfortunately, it is the FD and not the HOA that are doing the fining. I understand the ordinance though, as in a multi-unit building, one dumb neighbor can cause a lot of damage to other people. In boulder, single- and duplex homes are exempt.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #189
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

After reading some of this thread, I realize I have lived Way. Too. Long. in a rural area. Forty years or so, was raised in the city but I sure don't know if I can go back.
I try not to think globally these days, believe me, I try really, REALLY hard not to. But we are beginning to institutionalize and legitimize thought control, busybodyism, and the polar opposite of "live and let live." I'm not sure we'll survive it....

I think somebody had a comment on this topic, albeit peripherally....oh, yeah:

"Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."

Old 05-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #190
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Those facist bastards!!

Quick Reply